RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

I've always sort of wondered about this. When sending a track out to a speaker in a room and then capturing the sound for reverb purposes, does one add a bit of delay to avoid latency? Or by virtue of it being delayed anyway (in a natural space and the distance from mic to speaker/wall etc) is it unnecessary?

I'm using a digital hard disk recorder most of the time (rather than a DAW) so I would have to utilize an analog delay at the board to put the latency off a tiny bit.

I understand the pre delay thing anyway with reverb as a standard practice for purposes of making the dry source more distinct by putting the reverb just off the source a bit, but sometimes I don't want a predelay before the reverb.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

If you are re recording into the same machine,

Just do a quick test to see if the latency is too large for your taste, if any.

Then, move the original audio EARLIER to where that latency is no longer an issue, record your room, and then MOVE BACK the original audio.

Cheers
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

Seems totally unnecessary to me. If I'm re-amping stuff and it's close mic'd I'll sometimes slide the tracks around to sort out any latency based phase issues (provided I'm going to use both the original and re-amped tracks together in the final mix). For room sounds and reverbs I don't bother. The distance between the speaker and the mics is already creating some delay. A few ms more or less doesn't make enough difference for me to think about one way or the other.
People were re-amping room reverb long before the era of digital fuckery and latency. They used to call it an echo chamber.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com

Last edited by A.David.MacKinnon on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

Nick Sevilla wrote:

Then, move the original audio EARLIER to where that latency is no longer an issue, record your room, and then MOVE BACK the original audio.

Unless your disk recorder makes this possible the question is moot. A delay by it's name and nature can't do it.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

I used to use the warehouse space beneath my studio as an echo chamber for pretty much everything. Never had a latency problem, best verbs I ever had. I mean, try it and see if it sounds wrong to you and adjust for latency if necessary, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

rigsbysmith.com
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

And, FWIW, you can go the opposite direction.

I believe I read that Albini sometimes adds some time to his overheads, for example, to give a bigger room sound.
MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

he delays the room mics, not the overheads.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

I believe you are correct! Cool
drumsound
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Latency when reamping for acoustic reverb? Reply with quote

If you're not recording the room sound back into the recorder it shouldn't matter if you're mixing and you like the sound.
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: