RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
best rock album of the 21st century (so far)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shedshrine
george martin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

Merry happy joyjoy day in advance Kslight. Which Dirty Little Rabbit is your biz partner?
And Variable, no offense taken!
I was just acknowledging I probably wouldn't have much more to offer this thread, so..
ass engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

kslight wrote:
He's on drums.

Ah. Just assumed guitar. Didn't know he played drums. But yeah, I'd expect any band with JW in it would be heavily blues-based, whether he's playing guitar, drums or flugelhorn.
kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

shedshrine wrote:
Merry happy joyjoy day in advance Kslight. Which Dirty Little Rabbit is your biz partner?
And Variable, no offense taken!
I was just acknowledging I probably wouldn't have much more to offer this thread, so..

Thanks! Though makes me feel old… Rolling Eyes

The big guy on the skins I've known forever, I work on a lot of his projects.. You've probably heard of his main gig before…
kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

variableD wrote:
kslight wrote:
He's on drums.

Ah. Just assumed guitar. Didn't know he played drums. But yeah, I'd expect any band with JW in it would be heavily blues-based, whether he's playing guitar, drums or flugelhorn.

Yah, he's actually a drummer first. Though of course, its not what made him famous.

Love his kit, and I think he's a pretty good player too..
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

Me, I gotta kinda thing for Alison Mosshart - The Kills are pretty good, too, and she does a star turn on the last Gang of Four, whose last two albums are excellent.

Jack White's record with Loretta Lynn is worth looking up, also.

As far as something innovative, some of the Black Dub record (Trixie Whitley, Brian Blade, Daryl Johnson and leader, Daniel Lanois) is quite original.

I work with a jazzer outta London, UK who constantly tells me, "Rock is dead". I mean, we record together and he tells me that, but he kinda means it.

As far as, "earth-shattering, foundational masterpieces? Something that redefines rock as we know it"? I got nothin'. Mebbe Chris Cornell's Scream?

shedshrine: I'm buyin'! Cool
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

I've been listening to a ton of music lately that's new to me... only a handful have been from this century, but so far the one I like best that was made since 2000 is Blut Aus Nord's "The Work that Transforms God" (2003). I don't know if it's foundational or a masterpiece, but it's really good. I'm not a metal head either, though I do like some metal.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Allelujah Don't Bend, Ascend" (2012) is really good too.

Blut Aus Nord's MORT is supposed to be more experimental than the one of theirs I mentioned above, and some people call it their masterpiece... I haven't heard it yet, but it sounds like it could be a contender.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

We Are Night Sky by Deadboy and the Elephant men stayed in my c.d. player on continuous repeat for two weeks straight when I first encountered it. Dax Riggs' solo stuff is pretty cool too, but that's the one I think of as a masterpiece.
dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

variableD wrote:
I've been listening to a ton of music lately that's new to me... only a handful have been from this century, but so far the one I like best that was made since 2000 is Blut Aus Nord's "The Work that Transforms God" (2003). I don't know if it's foundational or a masterpiece, but it's really good. I'm not a metal head either, though I do like some metal.

This is a good one! I like "Mort" better, but that period of his music ("Odinist", too) is phenomenal all around.

My pick for best of the century thus far would be Corrupted's Garten der Unbewusstheit, but I think it's more a personal choice than one based on their influence or originality.
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

The Led Zeppelin remasters. Just kidding. I got nothing.

You can't really "redefine" something willy nilly that already has a definition without things getting meaningless in a hurry. Is there a new genre that'll be the next rock n roll?

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

Don't take "redefine" quite so literally. I mean records that changed the landscape, that set a new standard or a new direction.

The cliche examples from the old century are Sgt. Pepper's and Dark Side of the Moon. Others (arguably) might be King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King (1969), Black Sabbath (1970), Nirvana's Nevermind (1991), Jimi's Are You Experienced (1967), Van Halen (1978), Slint's Spiderland (1991).

The kind of thing that made a lot of musicians say, "oh shit... I can't keep doing what I've been doing... it sounds RIDICULOUS now". Or conversely, "Holy shit, this is awesome! I want to do something like that".
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

floid wrote:
We Are Night Sky by Deadboy and the Elephant men

This is nice, thanks. Not really my thing, but it's very good.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

dfuruta wrote:
Corrupted's Garten der Unbewusstheit

I'm digging this. I'll have to give this one a close listen. Thanks.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

Hmm.

In many ways, then, Chinese Democracy is exactly the opposite of what we want here, then. (Even tho' it's not that bad a record.)

Or the last Eagles' record, or even VH ...
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: best rock album of the 21st century (so far)? Reply with quote

Machines (2009) by French band Yang should be a contender, too. It's something like if King Crimson played black metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: