best rock album of the 21st century (so far)?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Merry happy joyjoy day in advance Kslight. Which Dirty Little Rabbit is your biz partner?
And Variable, no offense taken!
I was just acknowledging I probably wouldn't have much more to offer this thread, so..

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:12 pm

kslight wrote:He's on drums.
Ah. Just assumed guitar. Didn't know he played drums. But yeah, I'd expect any band with JW in it would be heavily blues-based, whether he's playing guitar, drums or flugelhorn.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:09 pm

shedshrine wrote:Merry happy joyjoy day in advance Kslight. Which Dirty Little Rabbit is your biz partner?
And Variable, no offense taken!
I was just acknowledging I probably wouldn't have much more to offer this thread, so..
Thanks! Though makes me feel old? :roll:

The big guy on the skins I've known forever, I work on a lot of his projects.. You've probably heard of his main gig before?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:10 pm

variableD wrote:
kslight wrote:He's on drums.
Ah. Just assumed guitar. Didn't know he played drums. But yeah, I'd expect any band with JW in it would be heavily blues-based, whether he's playing guitar, drums or flugelhorn.
Yah, he's actually a drummer first. Though of course, its not what made him famous.

Love his kit, and I think he's a pretty good player too..

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Me, I gotta kinda thing for Alison Mosshart - The Kills are pretty good, too, and she does a star turn on the last Gang of Four, whose last two albums are excellent.

Jack White's record with Loretta Lynn is worth looking up, also.

As far as something innovative, some of the Black Dub record (Trixie Whitley, Brian Blade, Daryl Johnson and leader, Daniel Lanois) is quite original.

I work with a jazzer outta London, UK who constantly tells me, "Rock is dead". I mean, we record together and he tells me that, but he kinda means it.

As far as, "earth-shattering, foundational masterpieces? Something that redefines rock as we know it"? I got nothin'. Mebbe Chris Cornell's Scream?

shedshrine: I'm buyin'! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:59 am

I've been listening to a ton of music lately that's new to me... only a handful have been from this century, but so far the one I like best that was made since 2000 is Blut Aus Nord's "The Work that Transforms God" (2003). I don't know if it's foundational or a masterpiece, but it's really good. I'm not a metal head either, though I do like some metal.

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:44 am

Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Allelujah Don't Bend, Ascend" (2012) is really good too.

Blut Aus Nord's MORT is supposed to be more experimental than the one of theirs I mentioned above, and some people call it their masterpiece... I haven't heard it yet, but it sounds like it could be a contender.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 am

We Are Night Sky by Deadboy and the Elephant men stayed in my c.d. player on continuous repeat for two weeks straight when I first encountered it. Dax Riggs' solo stuff is pretty cool too, but that's the one I think of as a masterpiece.
Village Idiot.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:43 am

variableD wrote:I've been listening to a ton of music lately that's new to me... only a handful have been from this century, but so far the one I like best that was made since 2000 is Blut Aus Nord's "The Work that Transforms God" (2003). I don't know if it's foundational or a masterpiece, but it's really good. I'm not a metal head either, though I do like some metal.
This is a good one! I like "Mort" better, but that period of his music ("Odinist", too) is phenomenal all around.

My pick for best of the century thus far would be Corrupted's Garten der Unbewusstheit, but I think it's more a personal choice than one based on their influence or originality.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 am

The Led Zeppelin remasters. Just kidding. I got nothing.

You can't really "redefine" something willy nilly that already has a definition without things getting meaningless in a hurry. Is there a new genre that'll be the next rock n roll?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:50 am

Don't take "redefine" quite so literally. I mean records that changed the landscape, that set a new standard or a new direction.

The cliche examples from the old century are Sgt. Pepper's and Dark Side of the Moon. Others (arguably) might be King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King (1969), Black Sabbath (1970), Nirvana's Nevermind (1991), Jimi's Are You Experienced (1967), Van Halen (1978), Slint's Spiderland (1991).

The kind of thing that made a lot of musicians say, "oh shit... I can't keep doing what I've been doing... it sounds RIDICULOUS now". Or conversely, "Holy shit, this is awesome! I want to do something like that".

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 pm

floid wrote:We Are Night Sky by Deadboy and the Elephant men
This is nice, thanks. Not really my thing, but it's very good.

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:00 pm

dfuruta wrote:Corrupted's Garten der Unbewusstheit
I'm digging this. I'll have to give this one a close listen. Thanks.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Hmm.

In many ways, then, Chinese Democracy is exactly the opposite of what we want here, then. (Even tho' it's not that bad a record.)

Or the last Eagles' record, or even VH ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:03 am

Machines (2009) by French band Yang should be a contender, too. It's something like if King Crimson played black metal.