RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Urie 565-good for removing tape hiss?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zacharia Matilda
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Urie 565-good for removing tape hiss? Reply with quote

A question for people who have used one of the Little Dipper notch filters. I am out of the box and wondering if this would be a useful unit for removing tape hiss?

Any other OTB suggestions for doing this would be appreciated! Thank you!
MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Urie 565-good for removing tape hiss? Reply with quote

not what you want to hear, but izotope RX would work way better than any OTB solution.
Zacharia Matilda
ass engineer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Urie 565-good for removing tape hiss? Reply with quote

I think it has less to do with "what I want to hear" and more to do with "what will work for me in my studio" which doesn't have a computer in it, but thanks for the reply.
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Urie 565-good for removing tape hiss? Reply with quote

the 565 is great for really surgical EQing. It would probably be pretty decent taking out tape hiss but might take out lots of other stuff you don't want to remove. With tape, the best solutions happen pre-playback. Tape type, biasing, levels and noise reduction are the best tools for the job.
That said, I have no idea what you're application is or what you're up against but keep in mind that the 565 is a mono so you'd need as many units as you have tape tracks.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
winky dinglehoffer
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Urie 565-good for removing tape hiss? Reply with quote

What about a single-ended noise reduction unit like the Dynafex D-2B? It's actually designed for the job, and probably cheaper than the Urei (though I haven't looked at prices on those in quite some time.)

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: