RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjazzbassist
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a small format 8 channel 4 buss/out mixer to pair with a 4 track reel to reel. I've searched a lot on here, GS, and other sites and found these options. Has anyone tried a couple of these, and what are the consensus?

Sound I'm going for - Just want it to sound decent, i do early 70's soul/funk/r&B and soul-jazz so a little noise and color is fine. I've used a 388 in the past and liked that, and had a Sony MX-20 (and Ramsa WR-133) with a Teac 3340s that was nice too.

Note: I will be bouncing tracks since it's a 4 track, and doing bounces within the machine itself (not to a 2 track) so i need something that can do that.

Sony MXP-21, 29, 290
Tascam M208
Studiomaster 8 Into 4
Soundcraft 200B

Ideally i'd like to find another Sony MX-20, but they are rare. I'm mostly interested in how those other Sony's compare to the Tascam and Studiomaster unit.
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

I don't know the Sony units but I've had lots of experience with Studiomaster, Tascam and Soundcrafts. My gut feeling is that most 70's/80s soundcrafts will be head and shoulders above the other two in terms of build quality and to a slightly lesser degree sound. I have a soft spot for Tascam tape machines but no love for their mixers. I currently have a later Studiomaster 24x8x2 at home. It sounds nice but not amazing and it feels really cheap.
I've used tons of Soundcrafts - everything from the 1s, 200s, 400s, Ghost, and spirit series. The 70's units are built like tanks and easy to work on.
I'd also suggest keeping an eye out for one of the smaller Yamaha PM series. I've got a PM 400 that pairs really well with my 4 track. Features are limited but it sounds great.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://6nassau.blogspot.ca
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

I have an M208, it's not what you want. Anemic.
kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

I've got an M-308 sitting here..I'm sure there's some secret mojo in there to find...but I'm too lazy to hook it up. Rolling Eyes
Zacharia Matilda
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

I've used a Soundcraft 200b. I've also used one of the old Tascam M series mixers (can't remember which one). Both would be in your price point. Of the two I would probably choose a 200b. Better eq (especially if it has the sweepable mid band), external power supply and modular channels (easier to work on). It might even sound marginally better.

I have an 8 channel 200b I'm no longer using. It doesn't have a power supply but those are easily found on ebay. PM me if you are interested.
markjazzbassist
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

david thanks for the yamaha recomendation, totally missed that one since it doesn't look 4 output at first glance. thanks!

zach i gotta sell a couple things first, i might holler at you later.
markjazzbassist
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

ok i got it narrowed down now to

Sony MX-20, MXP-21, 29, 290
Tascam M208, M30
Yamaha PM 400
Ramsa WR-133

The soundcraft and studiomaster are more around the 300+ range and to be honest i'm really looking for cheap as hell, so closer to 200 or 150 is more like it. Those above are in that range. I'll report back if i get something.
Jim Williams
tinnitus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 8 Channel 4 Out Mixer for $300 or less for 4 Track Reel Reply with quote

Check out a used Soundcraft Delta 200 8x4x2. Some are made in a 19" rack case. It has the best in class stereo crosstalk and a pad-less mic preamp. Another big difference is it has a dedicated balanced line input, the others run through the mic preamp padded down.

I bought one for $450.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: