RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Question about studer 827 output.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
southsider
pluggin' in mics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Question about studer 827 output. Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a Studer 827, and all is well, except for one problem. One of the channels, 17, is putting out a very low signal, but just on the REPRO head. If I switch to SYNC, it's fine.

I'm testing with MRL tape, different speeds, etc. I've reseated the big CH 17/18 module at the bottom along with it's ribbon cables, but to no avail.

Any ideas on what may cause this?

Thanks in advance everyone.
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about studer 827 output. Reply with quote

I not super familiar with that machine but if it was me I'd try swapping the 17/18 card with another. Does the problem follow the card? Also, are there separate electronics/cards for synch and repro? how does the repro head look?

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
southsider
pluggin' in mics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about studer 827 output. Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Yes, I swapped the 17-18 card for another, and the problem still remains on ch 17. Head looks good and is clean. A tech told me that the next thing to do is swap the head preamp cards.

Has anyone ever done this? I can't seem to figure out if they're supposed to come out the top (first have to remove the big mount with all the db25 plugs), or if the cage is supposed to come out the bottom, and then remove the preamp cards.

Can't find anything in the manual regarding this procedure.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about studer 827 output. Reply with quote

Dumb question:

You are doing all this troubleshooting AFTER having aligned the entire machine properly?

From record all the way to playback?
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about studer 827 output. Reply with quote

Dumb question number 2:

Are you checking the level with a voltage meter? Or are you basing the level only on the VU meter on the machine?

If the level is correct on the voltage meter, meaning it matches the other channels, then the VU meter is off, and needs recalibrating.

If the level on the voltage meter is off, THEN you have a problem with the output.

But, this cannot be traced up to and until you already calibrated the machine completely, to rule out any goofups / operator error / forgotten to set record side /etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: