RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Need help with mobile rack power

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electricide
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Need help with mobile rack power Reply with quote

Hey TOMB. Been a real long time. Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

I am assembling some mobile rack for mobile audio (a symetrix 12x8 and a break out box, connected by DANTE).

I want to put the processor in a 2U rack. I will need to plug that into the venue's power, somehow. It would make SENSE to ME if there were a rack-mount surge suppressor that had the outlets on the INSIDE of the rack, where your equipment's power plugs are, and a switch and the plug on the OUTSIDE of the rack, so you can just plug into an outlet or extension cord and flip the switch.

However, I'm finding that 99% of rack mount power strips have the outlets AND the plug on the inside. Probably meant for permanent racks in a studio. Useless for mobile however, unless you are drilling holes in your flight case.

Best I could find is this, but it has 16 pigtails on it!
http://www.tripplite.com/16-outlet-1u-rack-mount-ac-charger-power-strip-120v-15a-15-ft-cord~PS1916D1U/

Alternatively, I'd accept a male power plug that could be panel mounted, so the venue's extension cord just plugs directly into the rack panel.

Anybody have any experience or insight building mobile audio rigs?
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with mobile rack power Reply with quote

Look for FURMAN power strips.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=ClassicSeries_15A

They have what you need.
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with mobile rack power Reply with quote

Mostly people use something like this:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=5239&section=41854&minisite=10251
Electricide
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with mobile rack power Reply with quote

All of the furman products have the power cable coming out the back, which doesn't help with an enclosed road case.

I did see some Edison plugs, but I'm trying to find something that will take up a 1U rackspace and doesn't involve custom panel making.

I am buying a knockout 12 XLR panel, and I'm looking now at the Neutrik PowerCon stuff, which would mount right in. Get a powercon to edison plug for plugging it into the venue.

Just have to figure how to wire/plug stuff in on the inside....
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: