RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Online Back-up recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christian_roth
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Online Back-up recommendations Reply with quote

Up until they lost all my data and their app stopped working, I was a happy Gobbler user. I am searching for a replacement that integrates nicely into my workflow. I loved how Gobbler would get triggered from a save as opposed to me having to copy files over to some cloud managed directory, a la Google Drive.

If this has already come up, can you kindly point me to that thread? Thx.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Online Back-up recommendations Reply with quote

I recommend NOT USING cloud backups, especially, as you can see from your experience, as the SOLE backup for anything you own.

I recommend this:

RETROSPECT.

And this is how I use it:

I have, in my main DAW rig, two audio hard drives.

After every session, I back them up to TWO places: A third backup drive 4TB, so I can have almost a years worth of work there, plus ANOTHER drive which is only for Retrospect, which backs up incrementally, and automatically, as soon as I plug in the USB drive. Usually this is at the end of the day. For the backup drive, I just drag the entire project folder, the Retrospect does it all automatically.

Additionally, I use a THIRD backup, which now is BluRay data discs, and used to be DVD or hard drives in the past, per project, or if there are many smaller projects, as much as needed, 25GB at a time. This I do at the end of a project, once it has been delivered. These BluRay discs are stored in a bank vault far away from my studio, for added security.

Cheers
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Online Back-up recommendations Reply with quote

You can have convenience or security, not both.

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
christian_roth
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

I'll check out Retrospect. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: