RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
15.6kHz interference tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h_taylor
audio school

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: 15.6kHz interference tone Reply with quote

Hello all,

Not sure if this is in the right place, so sorry if not.

I am studying for a Masters in Acoustics and I am currently researching the presence of a 15625Hz tone (15750Hz in the USA) that I have observed in many mid-90s / early-2000s recordings. It is undocumented in academic literature and I am trying to find out why this is.

I have observed a spike of as much as 16dB above the average 1/3 octave-band level (14130Hz to 17780Hz being the band in question). Following a sample of various recordings from the 90s/00s, I found that the interference tone was more prevalent in music recorded or mixed in certain studios. Albums recorded in Abbey Road in particular seemed susceptible to this interference.

The most likely source of this interference is the flyback transformer in CRT screens being picked up by microphones. I believe this is where recordings have been made in a control room where CRTs are present, or using a desk that had a CRT built in. Indeed, sometimes I can hear it fading in or out with vocal takes, probably where a performance has been punched in next to the desk.

It appears that recordings can also pick up this interference during mixing. To take "The Bends" by Radiohead as an example, the album was recorded in the UK; however, a lot of the album displays the frequency corresponding to the NTSC standard (15750Hz). Sure enough, the album was (re)mixed in the USA.

My question is whether anyone has encountered this interference (in listening or as an engineer). For me as a listener, this sound is very off-putting; there are a few albums I am unable to listen to due to it. If nothing else, I feel like the presence of this tone should be paid attention to when carrying out the inevitable next round of "remasters"...

Thanks,

Harry
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 15.6kHz interference tone Reply with quote

I can't speak from recording experience, but you're almost certainly right about it being a CRT flyback. I can remember being able to hear that nasty whine while most people couldn't, and I got some very confused looks when I'd start smacking somebody else's CRT in the computer lab.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 15.6kHz interference tone Reply with quote

I've encountered it only a few times, years ago.

During the time, we would do retakes, and not use whatever monitor as close to the recording equipment as it was.

Permanently solved it by going to LCD displays.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 15.6kHz interference tone Reply with quote

I'm thinking of calling my next band, "15750Hz Hum".

Altho' it's not really a "hum", izzit?

Ah well, confusion to the punters!

Twisted Evil
digitaldrummer
deaf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 15.6kHz interference tone Reply with quote

you know why it hums?

because it doesn't know the words!
Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: