RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Simple Noise Gate Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

Hey, you guys have been super helpful in pointing me at simple one-chip solutions, hoping I can do it again.

I'm carting about an Alesis 3630 as part of my bass setup, and all I'm using it for is a single noise gate on the insert of my mixer. I'd like to build a noise gate in a pedal size enclosure, with threshold and rate (no footswitch tho) that runs at line level, and run it from the same 9.6V DC supply as the rest of my pedals.

What should I look at as a starting block?
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

Did you google "simple noise gate?"

I found this, which has directions that almost look like something I could follow...

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=81918.0

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

I'm embarassed to admit I didn't. Embarassed

Mind you, the information I get on here is usually of a better quality, or maybe more in line with my thinking. I'd rather get a $5 chip that $3 worth of FET's I have to put together, but I'll check that link out. Though at first glance it seems geared more to a stompbox type. It seems there's this whole world of audiophile chips to do different common operations.

Usually someone says oh the THAT1572 is just what you need for that, give it a supply from 9-24V and it'll do a balanced output with a bare minimum of external components. And humbled, I go and do just that. Very Happy

Of course now someone's going to tell me the THAT1572 does something completely different, but I just pulled it out my hat, honest, even if it does exist.
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

It's probably not h-fi but the Behringer Slow Motion pedal has almost everything you're asking for and is dirt cheap. I use one with my Farfisa VIP organ (which is more or less line level). The farfisa has a quiet but constant whining, all notes at once sound that's always in the background. You don't hear it when you're playing but it's there when you stop. The gate pedal cleans it right up and the organ still sounds like the organ.

I think the pedal was $30 new and has settings for threshold and attack time. You'd be hard pressed to build something that cheap although I'm sure you could build something more rugged and robust.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

So the Slow Motion is a gate pedal?

I'll check that out.

Didn't find the slow motion, did find this, has a send / return, guess it'll do the job?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680597-REG/Behringer_NR300_NR300_Ultimate_Noise_Reducer.html
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

Drone wrote:
Mind you, the information I get on here is usually of a better quality, or maybe more in line with my thinking.

Amen to that, brother. I've been mulling over asking a turntable question here for a couple months because I know I could trust the answer even though there's probably a youtube video out there explaining it already.

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

Just ask, it can't be as dumb as my 'so I should just buy this $25 Behringer pedal that does exactly what I thought I had to build' question Embarassed
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

Drone wrote:
So the Slow Motion is a gate pedal?

I'll check that out.

Didn't find the slow motion, did find this, has a send / return, guess it'll do the job?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680597-REG/Behringer_NR300_NR300_Ultimate_Noise_Reducer.html

Yeah, I'll bet the only difference is that the Slow Mo has an attack setting where this one has a release setting.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
The Scum
resurrected

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

Oh, the THAT 4315 is what you want for that.

www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn100.pdf
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Simple Noise Gate Build Reply with quote

The Scum wrote:
Oh, the THAT 4315 is what you want for that.

www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn100.pdf

... and there it is ladies and gentleman Very Happy

Thanks man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: