RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Wetter on record

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Wetter on record Reply with quote

Don't know if this would be a recording or a gear technique.

I record my own band (duo) playing, and I find my effects always sound wetter on the recording than they do at the time I'm playing. Normally that's OK, I run a separate dry signal, and mix it in, but (and it is a big but) right now we're practicing somewhere else and recording on a single channel handy recorder.

So has anyone else experienced this? Where the effects seem quiet in real life, but real loud on a recording. Any workarounds? All I can think of is maybe running a small 100% wet amp and sticking it next to my head, but it's not like we play at deafening levels or anything.
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetter on record Reply with quote

Always. Same goes with fuzz/distortion/overdrive. What seems fine live is usually too much on record. It comes down to perception while you're playing and possibly the live listening environment. You just don't perceive it the same way as when you're listening to playback.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetter on record Reply with quote

+1.

Sometimes, in order to check effect levels, it can help to ...

... hold on, ...

... it's gonna suck, ...

... turn down.
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetter on record Reply with quote

So it sounds OK live? That was my second worry.

Vvv, the effect or the amp? The amp was between about 2&3, the effect was max'd and that seemed too little.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetter on record Reply with quote

I wonder if part of this is b/c while you're playing part of your brain is occupied with an internal representation of the the part, so your mental mix bus has a DI signal the rest of the world doesn't?
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetter on record Reply with quote

Wouldn't that mean I needed less effect? Or you mean my internal DI is overriding he wet signal, so I crank it more, hmmm.

Glad to hear it's not just me though, I thought perhaps I had some kind of block
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetter on record Reply with quote

I meant, turn down the volume, at least to check the effect level.

When listening in the room, you are getting aural info the mic is not, which places the sound in a different context.

Turn the amp down, and get close so that you hear only the amp, not the room - think like it's a near-field monitor.

That said, if you are volume level=2-3, but effect level=10, you might try recording a song at EL=5, or EL=3, and checking playback for the sweet spot.

I'll note that you might be able to start to calculate it as follows based on yer prior recordings:
assuming the DI track and mic track were each the same RMs (ruffly, "average") level;
assuming you used 50% of each track at mixdown;
cut the effect level 50%, etc.
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetter on record Reply with quote

Well whereas when we record at my spot, a lot of recording makes it to final release (we're kinda one take wonders aka we never play it the same again), on the handy recorder I'm not so likely to release it, so it was more a why does this happen type thing.

Though I might see if I can figure out a 100% wet little amp, so I can play against the effect, but turn it down in the main amp, not quite sure how I'd achieve that without involving a mixer and my full setup, which I'm trying to avoid moving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: