Some mix/production references

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Some mix/production references

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:58 pm

It's become somewhat common lately to release re-master CD's with alternate versions/alternate mixes.

Ech & the Bunnymen, comes to mind, Zep, Soundgarden's last, Ryan Adams, the Stones (check out Some Girls and [iSticky Fingers[/i]] ...

Temple of the Dog is another.

But a really interesting one is The Ciult's Electric - the difference between the original release and the 1st attempt is absolutely 90 degrees, and ver' cool - a mix/production lesson in itself.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Some mix/production references

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:19 pm

vvv wrote:It's become somewhat common lately to release re-master CD's with alternate versions/alternate mixes.

Ech & the Bunnymen, comes to mind, Zep, Soundgarden's last, Ryan Adams, the Stones (check out Some Girls and [iSticky Fingers[/i]] ...

Temple of the Dog is another.

But a really interesting one is The Ciult's Electric - the difference between the original release and the 1st attempt is absolutely 90 degrees, and ver' cool - a mix/production lesson in itself.
The only reason for some of these reissues is so they can extend the copyright again. I guess the other reason is so they can sell you the same record again by adding some frills or fucking with it a bit. Does the world really need a remaster of Exile On Main Street that cleans up the murk and muddiness when the murk and muddiness were part of what makes the original so cool?
Sometimes there are cool new bits added but lots of times it's like George Lucas adding terrible CGI to the original Star Wars movies.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Hmm.

I have a cuppla different re-masters of Exile, and I found the latest one fascinating from a production POV. Besides the clarity, the use of gates is fascinating ...

That said, of course some are a money-grab, or seem so when you are paying again.

Another interesting case is Chris Whitley's Din of Ecstasy; the release (on Soundcloud) of the ruff mixes reveals all kinds of stuff not heard in the murk of the commercial release.

To me, as well, the choices made - why "that" version and not "this"? - are also of interest.

For example, The Cult used the Rick Rubin (I think it was Dragoulias) mixes which were something entirely novel for them and their audience, even as they discarded the original mixes that harkened back to their prior hit, "Here Comes the Rain." A genius move, and yet the first mixes are hardly inferior ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:56 pm

As I re-read your post, where you said, "like George Lucas adding terrible CGI to the original Star Wars movies" reminds me of the ZZ Top box set of the early 80's where they actually replaced the original drum tracks and wrecked those great albums.

I'm not enamored of how Jagger added vocals to 30 year old tracks on the Exile outtakes, either, altho' they are actually not bad.

But for the most part, I think the better analogy is like going from VHS to DVD in the case of many re-masters originally released on vinyl.

And as for the Soundgarden and Cult stuff, well, that's material being released for the first time, as are most out takes added to extended CD releases.

But yes, many remasters suck, but then ones like Television's Marquee Moon are positively fucking awesome.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.