RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Left Hand Jack (1/4")

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

This is an odd one, I was replacing a bad jack in a pedal, and I pulled a jack out of an old amp board someone had given me, as I didn't have any of those 'headphone switching' style jacks with PCB pins.

All went smoothly, replacement jack came out of it's board cleanly, the one to be replaced came out cleanly, the replacement one went in fine.

Power it up, no sound, nothing, take it apart to see if I bollocksed up a wire somewhere, looks OK, until I notice, the output jack has it's live contacts on the right, as you look at it front on. The replacement jack has it's live contacts on the left. I looked at the donor board, all the jacks are the same, backward to every other jack I've seen.

So I ran some shorting links across it, works now, but weird .
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

That's a a stoner rock pedal, see.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you mounted it on the wrong side of the board. It's not lefty, it's Australian.
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

Well the amp is a KLM?
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

Ha! KLM is tangentially related to MFJ, a ham radio place local to me. In their world an xlr is 4-pin; bet there's a lot of other alternative standards now and in the past of that parallel world.
Ever run across those boxy looking pcb mount trs jacks that have the pins and normals laid out in a zig zag pattern? Think it's something like
T Ref pin
- TN
R RN
Ref S
Confusing as hell.
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

My bad sorry. KLM is the Dutch Airlines which I have flown on. The amp which I salvaged the part from is a KMD.

Good call on the stoner pedal, it's an old black Russian Muff, the only good sounding Muff I've encountered. However it had it's jacks the standard way around, it's the KMD that is weird.
Scodiddly
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

You can usually squeeze those contacts out of there and mix&match as needed. At one point I'd bought a big bag of TS versions, and ended up making some TRS jacks out of them by transplanting contacts.

Traditionally Re'an made these jacks, but I'd imagine there are lots of clones now.
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Left Hand Jack (1/4") Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a nice bag of REAN but they were wire mount, so they had loops not pins Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: