4 channels API mic pre clones, high-end C-12 tube mic copy

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

playon
pluggin' in mics

4 channels API mic pre clones, high-end C-12 tube mic copy

Post by playon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Four channels of API clones - this preamp also can be used as a passive summing box via DIN connectors on the back. This means you can mix down through this unit if you want to add some analog vibe to your digital tracks. Channels 1 & 2 are straight up API clones, with Cinemag transformers in and out. Channels 3 & 4 are the exact same circuit but with Jensen input transformers & Cinemag output. The character on 3 & 4 is similar to API but with a little more headroom and a slightly "bigger" sonic quality. There are DIs on every channel. The output pads are great for hitting that sweet spot on the gain without slamming the inputs on your converters.

The industrial, plain-Jane looks won't win any awards but the sound is there and it's built like a brick. I'm the original owner, they work and sound great - selling because I got a killer deal on 8 channels and so this pre is redundant in my studio. This unit was recently gone over by the builder Orin Johnson, and is in top shape. These are USA-made in Black Earth Wisconsin, (this is not the same JJ Electronics who build and mod microphones). This unit is a little over a year old and has been used only in my smoke free home studio. See specs here: http://jjstudioelectronics.com/download ... -specs.pdf

$1150 + shipping obo

--------

The mic: A heavily modified Apex 460, it has Eric Heiserman's reproduction C12 capsule (USA made) installed, with the Fox circuit modification as sold by microphone-parts.com. It also has an upgraded headbasket/grill, and a NOS Raytheon 6072A tube has been installed - a military spec 12AX7 which sells on ebay for $90. The capsule installation and circuit work were done for me by an experienced mic modder on the groupDIY site. The power supply has also had capacitor upgrades. You could take this mic a little further by upgrading the transformer and PCB but it sounds very good as is, the classic, bright/airy tube mic sound. It has seven polar patterns switchable from the power supply.

It works great without any problems, only selling because I have another mic in the same sonic ballpark and I don't need two of this type for my small home studio. Power supply and cable are included. $700 obo, would possibly trade for a good buss compressor, such as SSL type, etc.

[/img]