RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Sticky Push Buttons

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suntower
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

For some reason, several of my devices are starting to have this same issue.

The little lighted push buttons are starting to 'stick'. They seem to electrically 'work' (ie. enabling/disabling when pressed), but the light stays lit unless I 'twiddle' it.

There's no obvious cause (liquids, etc.) It just seems to be time that has caused it.

I've tried 'exercising' them repeatedly to no avail.

And BTW, it's not just one vendor... I'm having this with gear from several makers so either they all use exactly the same switch -or- it's just something that 'happens' with this sort of switch.

So... how does one 'unstick' these things? Surely there is a 'procedure', right? Right? Very Happy
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

Dis-assemble and clean.

Or shoot with contact cleaner, what is easier.
Suntower
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

By 'contact cleaner', you mine like Deoxit?

Sorry for being so thick. These things don't disassemble so easy.

vvv wrote:
Dis-assemble and clean.

Or shoot with contact cleaner, what is easier.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

In that instance, without dis-assembly, I'd more likely use like an all-in-one, or both the De-Oxit cleaner followed by the luber (red than blue, or just the gold, if I recall ...)

Now, if they see it, I expect some more expert dudes might object to my advise, so YMMV.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

Suntower wrote:
For some reason, several of my devices are starting to have this same issue.

The little lighted push buttons are starting to 'stick'. They seem to electrically 'work' (ie. enabling/disabling when pressed), but the light stays lit unless I 'twiddle' it.

There's no obvious cause (liquids, etc.) It just seems to be time that has caused it.

I've tried 'exercising' them repeatedly to no avail.

And BTW, it's not just one vendor... I'm having this with gear from several makers so either they all use exactly the same switch -or- it's just something that 'happens' with this sort of switch.

So... how does one 'unstick' these things? Surely there is a 'procedure', right? Right? Very Happy

Hi,

Since it is happening to more than one device... there might be something in the air. Too much humidity? Cigarette smoke? Mary Jane smoke? Skanky funk from musicians (LOL)?

There are different methods to clean switches and pots. All depend on the TYPE of material to be cleaned.

Yes, the CAIG products can handle most situations, BUT, some CAIG products can cause problems.

Which devices are having issues? Do you have a service manual for them? Many service manuals can be found online for free or cheap.

Try to open the simplest one, and then use a magnifying loupe and strong light to see up close and try to find what gunk might be present. Report back here afterwards, maybe with pictures.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

Skanky Funk may be my new band name ...
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

Often that sort of thing is gunk around the actual button where it goes through the panel. Much easier to clean if you can take it apart. Contact/switch cleaner generally not very effective on that sort of problem.
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky Push Buttons Reply with quote

contact cleaner can potentially make more gunk by attracting dust and debris as it dries and mixes together

I've seen some rubbery material buttons turn to actual liquid after 20-30 years - like melt onto your fingers as black tar

I'd recommend taking em out and cleaning with 99% alcohol if they're not rubber and lightly test on plastic parts first for any adverse reaction - use a foam swab not a q-tip
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: