Coles Microphones 4040 (matched pair) - SOLD

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

tiller
pluggin' in mics

Coles Microphones 4040 (matched pair) - SOLD

Post by tiller » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:36 pm

SOLD!!

Hi all,

Selling a gorgeous pair of Coles 4040 ribbon mics in excellent condition. Consecutive serial numbers. Come in their bags, with case, and all hardware as the pictures show. I am also including brackets/clamps that will allow you to do a Blumlein stereo pair on a single mic stand.

Price is $2000usd shipped and paypal'd. Will ship anywhere in Canada and the contiguous USA. Local pickup more than welcome. More pics on request. Not interested in trades

Mics are in top shape. Never, ever abused. Always stored upright. Haven't used them in ages as recording is not my main career these days. Sadly they've been sitting around (upright!) in their cases.

I quite like the sound of these to be honest. They are a lot like the 4038 with more high end extension, and perhaps slightly less midrange emphasis. The brilliant thing about these is how well they take EQ. You can push stuff really far (i.e., high shelf) and completely transform the sound without it sounding "EQ'd". I suspect this is due to lack of high frequency resonances. They just sound smooth. Absolutely killer mics for jazz drum overheads in a Blumlein set up. Piano is very rich, great for rock and pop. Amazing on winds and brass, flute especially. I've gone so far as using these as a main stereo pair for small ensembles (notably woodwind quintet) and they've worked marvelously!

Cheers!
Last edited by tiller on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

tiller
pluggin' in mics

Post by tiller » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Price drop - $1950usd for the pair

tiller
pluggin' in mics

Post by tiller » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:48 am

SOLD!