Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dubsiren
audio school

Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music

Post by dubsiren » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Hey everyone!

I am in the market for a large format console for my electronic music studio. I grew up on large format consoles, and love the faders, love real EQs, and like sitting at a console and having room to mix. I have looked at modern stuff (Midas, A&H, etc) and aside from being absolute eye-sores, I don't like the idea of them not being modular, or even able to easily pull channels for cleaning or upgrading.

I am using mainly modular synthesizers, drum machines and vintage analog poly synths. Almost everything is line level. Sometimes I will mic up speakers and run parts through guitar amps, but mainly everything is line level. Looking for at least 24 channels. I use tons of reverbs, delays and other effects processors, so AUX sends are important.

I will be recording into Protools and/or Ableton Live, so direct outs, groups are a must.

I would also like EQs with high and low filters. A lot of what I do is bass heavy, but also high heavy, so being able to filter and make room is critical. I will be tracking AND mixing on this console.

Right now, I am using a Soundcraft Delta 200, but it is too small and I am constantly repatching.

I would love to keep my budget under $5K

Things I have been looking at:

Amek Matchless
Amek Recall
Trident 65
D&R Orion
Neotek Elan
MCI 600

I would love to hear opinions and experiences.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:41 pm

i was gonna recommend the Speck LiLo since it's all Line level but it doesn't have Hi/Low/Pass or EQ and it's over your price range (unless you go used).

http://www.speck.com/lilo/lilo.html

cool concept.

dubsiren
audio school

Post by dubsiren » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Yeah - that would be a complete no-go.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 am

Of the ones listed I only really have extensive experience on the MCI. It's one of my all time favourites though. That said, I don't know that you'd be able to get a good one at your price point.
I also really like the AMEK boards. I haven't used the ones you listed but I have lots of experience with the AMEK Angela. It's also great but I prefer the workflow on an MCI.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:33 am

A used Soundcraft Series 5 has sweepable hi and low pass filters plus full parametric EQ. They sell pretty cheap used.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades