RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsiren
audio school

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I am in the market for a large format console for my electronic music studio. I grew up on large format consoles, and love the faders, love real EQs, and like sitting at a console and having room to mix. I have looked at modern stuff (Midas, A&H, etc) and aside from being absolute eye-sores, I don't like the idea of them not being modular, or even able to easily pull channels for cleaning or upgrading.

I am using mainly modular synthesizers, drum machines and vintage analog poly synths. Almost everything is line level. Sometimes I will mic up speakers and run parts through guitar amps, but mainly everything is line level. Looking for at least 24 channels. I use tons of reverbs, delays and other effects processors, so AUX sends are important.

I will be recording into Protools and/or Ableton Live, so direct outs, groups are a must.

I would also like EQs with high and low filters. A lot of what I do is bass heavy, but also high heavy, so being able to filter and make room is critical. I will be tracking AND mixing on this console.

Right now, I am using a Soundcraft Delta 200, but it is too small and I am constantly repatching.

I would love to keep my budget under $5K

Things I have been looking at:

Amek Matchless
Amek Recall
Trident 65
D&R Orion
Neotek Elan
MCI 600

I would love to hear opinions and experiences.
markjazzbassist
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music Reply with quote

i was gonna recommend the Speck LiLo since it's all Line level but it doesn't have Hi/Low/Pass or EQ and it's over your price range (unless you go used).

http://www.speck.com/lilo/lilo.html

cool concept.
dubsiren
audio school

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music Reply with quote

Yeah - that would be a complete no-go.
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music Reply with quote

Of the ones listed I only really have extensive experience on the MCI. It's one of my all time favourites though. That said, I don't know that you'd be able to get a good one at your price point.
I also really like the AMEK boards. I haven't used the ones you listed but I have lots of experience with the AMEK Angela. It's also great but I prefer the workflow on an MCI.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
Jim Williams
tinnitus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Best Large Format Console for Electronic Music Reply with quote

A used Soundcraft Series 5 has sweepable hi and low pass filters plus full parametric EQ. They sell pretty cheap used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: