Songs that bring the water

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Songs that bring the water

Post by shedshrine » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:08 am

Sometimes a song just whacks you upside the head with its emotional payload, or hits the overflow happy button, or simply exacerbates the undeniable effects of sleep deprivation (thanks Jj) Sometimes a tune just hits you hard..

Topic came up as I was responding to a thread on another site about Frank Black. Songs that move you of course depend on what moves you personally.

On the darker end, seems to me it?s all about how you come at pain or sadness. Expressed as release it becomes joy.

As far as Charles Frank Black Francis Thompson?s music in particular and its ability to convey that joy, well..
In the right place at the right time to accept it, usually driving, I?ve definitely been moved to that point by many of his songs.

The all-in sincerity of Chip Away Boy and I Will Run After You has caught me off guard sometimes.
And with End of Miles, around the parts ?Sold my el Camino? and ?Stranger helped me out when I was thirstiest? particularly.
Brings with it imagery of when you are first setting out on your own and there are just so many things you don?t know.

But even the shouty Suffering with lyrics about being hit with a shopping cart at the supermart, and I Need Peace off of the first Catholics album have got me there occasionally.

Hearing Black Francis tear into Threshold Apprehension hit me just right the first time I heard that driving home from yet another day at work in commute traffic.
Beautiful release saying (to me anyway) shake things up if you?re feeling dead damnit! Same with Cant? Break a Heart and Have It as well. Whew!

After you?ve heard these songs many times maybe they don?t affect you as strongly every time you hear them of course, but if it?s been awhile and you come back to them..

Definitely one of the main reasons I have always dug the man?s music is the range of expressiveness he brings to the table. I can relate to his particular voice and approach
Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 am

For me, it's memories associated with certain songs.

"The Waiting Is the Hardest Part" recalls a summer of working long hours delivering from and maintaining a semi-truck in the Chi area, when my gurrl was back in Champaign.

"Polly" recalls a certain gurrl, a certain time, some drugs ...

"Love My Way", sompin' similar.

From FB, "Monkey Gone to Heaven".

The one that makes me cry the hardest, tho', would be "Little Girl, I Wanna Marry You", because she did, and it were turr'ble.

I decline to reference anyfing in the last 10 years on the basis of discretion, and rarity.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 pm

pharoah sanders - astral traveling - my spirit/soul senses the creator? or maybe accesses the collective unconscious and is so moved

miles davis - flamenco sketches - pain, sorrow, regret, disappointment, it's been let out, soul speak or the vernacular of the human soul truly expressing the ups and downs of life

bob dylan - make you feel my love - unconditional love, this was my first dance with my wife at my wedding, love without boundaries

gil scott heron and brian jackson - a very precious time - pulsating rhodes, contemplative lyrics on love and memory, i often think of my daughter and the love i have for her

donny hathaway - Lord help me - gospel tune, very moving, finally reaching the point of conceding to a higher power, acknowledging you can't do it all on your own. humbling, only donny could give it that turnaround where it's equally joyful and melancholy

air - sing sang sung - a very beautiful song, i shared with my father in law before he passed, i always sense his spirit when i listen and play along

maze feat. frankie beverly - we are one - togetherness, universal love and peace, i miss when these were common themes. i yearn for them in my life and others

erik truffaz - turiddu - it's like he's feeling something and it's just bubbling, and then that solo hits and you know. you understand. very cathartic.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:28 am

Good stuff Mark (and thank you too V!)

I know all of you have moments like this whether or not you feel like putting them up here.

Maybe veering off here a bit, but..

First memory of music I was six or seven and Dougy my best friend across the street moved away. I sat under the table on the patio where we used to make forts singing to myself ?Blowing in the Wind?. Probably the Joan Baez version because that?s what mom listened to. I?m sure I didn?t even try to do her crazy vibrato. I didn?t realize it of course but I was consoling myself with music.

Picking up a guitar was due to hearing Aint Talking Bout Love, that gigantic sound. Grabbing Dad's classical guitar, just straight away trying to tap out melodies. And my Dad, Mr. John Denver/Gordon Lightfoot fan poking his head in after not hearing the typical beginner cowboy chords being attempted saying ?why bother, you obviously have no talent for this.? Which of course made me want to play even more.

By the time i moved to Japan in late ?91 hair metal had long lost whatever it was that had made it exiting and we were down to Cherry Pie (sorry Warrant). Music was dead as far as I was concerned. In Japan, at the time anyway, the nearby mall would play top 40, but in the broadest possible definition of Western Music. It was like 1970?s radio. Back then, I?m thinking of KFRC in particular, you?d hear something like Black Sabbath Paranoid, then Fire by the Ohio Players, then You Light Up My LIfe by Debby Boone. In any case, on this particular day in Japan at the mall, a Carpenters song ends, and then I hear Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time. Stops me in my tracks. I position myself right under the nearest ceiling speaker. SO happy! Music is back! I feel this $@%!ing song.

-Like when you've been home all day after posting a leather sofa on craigslist fielding texts, emails and calls from 5 people who all say they are totally interested, please don't sell it to anyone hold it for me, and by days end one by one they all flake. This vid takes that all away. Tightened up arrangement, son doing his father proud, kudos to the originators. It's all there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u-PjvRyr0I

Here's a Robyn Hitchcock cover version
Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:57 pm

If I'm just a little sleep-depped, any of it. Worst is when it's something super-inane, and/or in a less-than-private moment.

I got to see Yoko Kanno at an anime convention a few years ago. She did a solo piano performance, and I found the whole experience so overwhelming that I couldn't shut off the waterworks the entire time. :)

I made a recording of a Pixies song just for the sake of trying to compartmentalize it a little so it would stop inducing the gush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSFc1wu5UA

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 am

Yeah!
So envious of your piano. We got a weighted keyboard piano with built in speakers for our daughters lessons, and when she went to the first recital where everyone played the nice grand, her face lit up with amazement at the difference. "It's vibrating!"