RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
The roots of Roots Reggae...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg Juke
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: The roots of Roots Reggae... Reply with quote

I am currently enjoying a 2016 two-CD release called "First Class Rock Steady." Lots of interesting proto-reggae from roughly '66-'68. Plenty of typical pop subjects and lovey-dovey content, but a few gems like "Dreader than Dread" by Honey Boy Martin and "Left with a Broken Heart" by The Paragons. It's interesting to hear the influences from the U.S. too; namely do-wop/vocal group harmony and even a good portion of straight-ahead jazz (a couple of wholesale rip-off riddims; 4/4 versions of Brubeck's "Take 5," note-for-note, renamed to presumably attempt to dodge lawsuits). Also, Lee Perry singing "I Am the Upsetter;" a rather portentious harbinger of things to come.

Highly recommended for the Reggae collector, or just anyone interested in Jamaican/Caribbean music and culture/history.

GJ
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "
markjazzbassist
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The roots of Roots Reggae... Reply with quote

yeah man how you think jackie mittoo got the funk over there? the new orleans radio stations could be heard on the airwaves in jamaica (water travel for waves, brilliant) so dude was digging some meters and booker t and got his groove on.
Scodiddly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The roots of Roots Reggae... Reply with quote

I might be Captain Obvious, but a lot of very cool out of print stuff has been showing up on youtube. I've been listening to various reggae comps people have put together.

Also finding lots of Sun Ra music, which is very much appreciated. Search for "Sun Ra Solo Piano".
Gregg Juke

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: The roots of Roots Reggae... Reply with quote

Absolutely! If you're looking for the reggae stuff, search "roots reggae." Some very interesting mix-tapes with some unique things that I haven't heard before, and I've been listening/collecting since high school (I'm old).

Lots of great R&B, Do-Wop, Jazz, Blues, and many many 78's on YouTube too.

GJ
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: