Small Reel to Reel for apartment

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Small Reel to Reel for apartment

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 am

I'm looking for small (size really, weight doesn't really matter) reel to reel for my apartment. I used to have a Tascam 388 (way too big), Otari MX5050 (too large), and TEAC 3340S (too large) but i'm looking to get back into recording and need something small for my place.

The Stellavox and Nagra are the smallest but they go for like 3000 online in good condition. 2 Track or 4 track, 1/4" tape (but i think that's understood). I'm looking for a prosumer or higher quality recorder, i'm not looking for a hi-fi audio recommendation. Here's what I got so far, would love other suggestions:

Tascam 22-2
Tascam 22-4
Revox A77

Those look to be the smallest units, any others?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu May 04, 2017 6:23 pm

A good revox will slay the Teac/Tascams every time. If you look hard enough you can find one that's 1/2 track, 15ips.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri May 05, 2017 4:59 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:A good revox will slay the Teac/Tascams every time. If you look hard enough you can find one that's 1/2 track, 15ips.
that's what i've been thinking too. i've looked and their frequency response is near flat. also heard lots of good things about the colour they impart.

thanks!

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:A good revox will slay the Teac/Tascams every time. If you look hard enough you can find one that's 1/2 track, 15ips.
that's what i've been thinking too. i've looked and their frequency response is near flat. also heard lots of good things about the colour they impart.

thanks!
Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? (of course, maybe I am just a moron...) I have also heard that Teacs were "more musical sounding" than Revox. I have 3 Teacs and I only listen to music on them. I would like to have a Revox too.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Sun May 07, 2017 6:12 am

Revox B77 is good too, I'm guessing it's about the same physical size as an A77. I would go with one of those over a Tascam, but Tascams are certainly usable too.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 am

marantz pmd 430 fits and can hang in sound quality with some you mentioned

it's cassette - has built in mic amps and limiter

lower fi nagra

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am

great stuff, thanks. I'll add the B77 to the list as well.

As far as the TEAC/Tascam having more vibe/colour than the Revox, i used to own a couple so I'll go for the Revox this time and see how they compare. Could always flip it and get a Tascam if need be.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat May 13, 2017 10:57 am

the A77 and B77 have the ability to do "Sound on Sound". Meaning I could record bass and drums to track 1. Then bounce track 1 and add keys to Track 2. Then record something on track 1.

Anyone have any idea how the sync response is? Is it like the early TEAC 3340 where the frequency response is lacking? Or is it decent like the later model reels?

I might have to get a 4 track if sync isn't great.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 13, 2017 6:25 pm

"Sound on Sound" is not the same as multi-track or sel-sync recording.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun May 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:"Sound on Sound" is not the same as multi-track or sel-sync recording.

GJ
duly noted. i'll most likely go for a 4 track Teac, Tascam or Otari Machine. After doing some research it seems the TEAC 40-4, Tascam 44\44OB, and Otari MX5050BQII are the best of the bunch. TEAC 3440 also seems to have decent specs on S/N and response and seems the best "middle of the road" option. The TEAC/Tascam 22-4, 34 are much maligned by techs and users it seems.

I"ll probably go for one of the first 3 i mentioned then. Thanks!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re:

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:28 am

Gregg Juke wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:25 pm
"Sound on Sound" is not the same as multi-track or sel-sync recording.

GJ
it has multi-track and/or sel-sync. response is probably not great, but for demo purposes it does have that option.

I have decided I"m getting a Revox A77. Been looking for the HS version which is 7.5 IPS and 15 IPS in Half Track headstack. Thanks again to everyone for their opinions.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Small Reel to Reel for apartment

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Great choice. I've had one for years and still love it. Had one Ontario 5050 and use of another in the mean time but the Revox was better than either of those.