RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Mic with momentary switch??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a handheld mic with a momentary on/off switch, to be used in the control room as a talkback mic. I need something handheld with a reasonably long cord so it can be passed around and used by other band members in the control room.

I haven't come across any so far, and it seems like too tight of a squeeze to add a switch to an existing mic. Maybe a CB radio mic would work, but I can't tell if those units have regular line-level outputs or not.

Any ideas?
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

Older Shures like the 545SD or newer like the PG48, older EV's like the 664 have such switches, so do some older Senns.

But easier and cheaper?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear/619/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mic+with+switch&_sop=15
ubertar
cryogenically thawing

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

Most of those older mics with switches have slide on/off switches, not momentary pushbuttons. Why not make a small box with XLR ins/outs and a momentary pushbutton? Then you can run any mic you want with a short cable in and a long cable out.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

They already make lots of these:

http://procosound.com/interface-devices/switching-devices

Good company.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

ubertar wrote:
Most of those older mics with switches have slide on/off switches, not momentary pushbuttons.

Embarassed

Didn't catch, "momentary ".
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

Rolls MS111 $44 from B&H

footswitch can be used while both hands are free to work on other things

use it w/ a mic than can pick up everyone in the room and no need to fumble around passing it off to band members
Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

the issue I'm trying to solve is that right now the talkback circuit on my console works walkie-talkie style - only one person can be heard at a time, so I can't just leave it on all the time. So if the person in the live room is trying to have a conversation with someone in the control room other than me, I have the challenging job of predicting when each person is gonna talk and pressing/releasing the talkback button accordingly. Giving them their own mic solves that problem. Making it momentary means that extra noise or private conversations won't make it into the headphones.

That said, I'm switching to a new mixing board so maybe this situation will change anyway.
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

hmm

Neutrik #NC3FX-S connector has a rotary on/off switch - you could wire that to the end of an xlr and put your pass around mic on it

the rotary action might be annoying though

then you have to worry about someone not disengaging it after they talk

same with a mic with on/off switch though but that seems more ergonomic

something like the AKG DST 99 S mic has a momentary "on" and wired XLR but also might be awkward to pass around in the way you intend ? seems more of a two handed thing at least in my head

is it possible to wire a relay of momentary "on" footswitches (or buttons) at different stations in the control room and having one omni in the center that can pick up everything ?
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

I'm still thinkin' one of the karaoke mic's I linked above is the easiest/cheapest and should/could/would work...

That, or wire up a old C.B. radio mic:

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

finally found one. Shure makes a line of mics with momentary "push to talk" buttons. Thanks for the ideas guys.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

Damn! I was hoping you'd dig hearing, "Breaker 1-9" ...
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

vvv wrote:
I'm still thinkin' one of the karaoke mic's I linked above is the easiest/cheapest and should/could/would work...

That, or wire up a old C.B. radio mic:

I've done this a bunch of times at various studios. They make great talk back mics and it's got an element of fun that the bands always like.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
Gregg Juke
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

That's probably the only thing out there with a true "momentary" switch, I'd imagine (?). We use one of the Shure desktop talkback models, with the switch in the base. But even that is "on/off," not momentary. And the switch does eventually burn out, so now we just have it on a fader for up and down (leaving the switch open all the time).

GJ
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "
RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

What I've done when I've had to jury rig a talk back, I'd run a mic through an aux in Pro Tools and had it automated with the volume down so I could leave it up open between takes but it'd be off when the track plays.
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mic with momentary switch?? Reply with quote

RoyMatthews wrote:
What I've done when I've had to jury rig a talk back, I'd run a mic through an aux in Pro Tools and had it automated with the volume down so I could leave it up open between takes but it'd be off when the track plays.

There's a plug in called Talk Back that will mute that channel during playback/record and I mute it when you stop. I think it's by Massey.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: