V drums-record each drum sound to it's own track via MIDI?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cstocker77
alignin' 24-trk

V drums-record each drum sound to it's own track via MIDI?

Post by cstocker77 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:03 am

A friend of mine has Roland V Drums, model TD-4KP.

One the module, there are NOT separate outputs for each drum sound. He is wondering if there is a way through MIDI to achieve that. He is using Pro Tools.

Thanks for any and all info, in advance...

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:50 am

Midi is not audio, but if you set up a midi track (one) in pro tools and plug it in, it should record each hit on its own "note." Bass drum probably is C3, Snare C#3, etc...
Then you can use that midi data to trigger something like Steven slate or bfd or whatever.

If you really want the sounds off the v drum, you could plug midi out of your computer into the midi in of the v drum, after recording the midi data as outlined above, then mute each hit as you go and record the audio output for however many outputs and drums you need.

I personally would probably just record the midi data and retrigger a plugin.

I used to do exactly this when I had a Yamaha e kit, just triggered bfd. Sounds great.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 pm

I've done it with that model v-drum. As kslight said, record the midi as a midi track. You can use the midi info to trigger new sounds if you want OR you can play the midi back into the v-drum brain to trigger the v-drum sounds. Mute everything but the kick and do a pass for the kick track, repeat with everything but the snare muted to record the snare track and so on down the line until you get the whole performance into the computer track by track. It's super tedious but it works and everything will line up and synch.