Proper Resistor for 15db gain reduction

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Proper Resistor for 15db gain reduction

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Here's the situation, I've got 2 pickups going into a little amp that has 2 inputs, one of which is a low gain, -15db, input, but the amp has only one gain knob. What I want is both pickups to have approximately the same level. I thought I would build a little box with a volume pot on it to go on the hotter input chain, but then I was thinking, "hey! a pot is just a variable resistor, so I should just be able to put the proper resistor in line and that should cut the gain down the necessary amount..."

So, my question is: What's the equation to figure out the right resistor or at least resistor range to accomplish a -15db volume reduction? I've searched around the interwebs but haven't seemed to come up with the right answer or the right way to word my search in order to get a usable result.

PS - fidelity/sonic accuracy is not really an issue as this is for a totally blown out super effected sound.

Thanks in advance!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:41 am

I don't think there is a simple equation for this... it's going to vary by impedance. I think your best bet is to do it empirically; put a pot in there temporarily, get it set how you like it, take it out and measure it. Replace with a resistor.

A trimpot isn't much bigger than a resistor... you could save a step that way. Just set it and forget it.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 am

What is the amp?

Could be the exact value you need is on the schematic, on the 15dB input.

Other cheap ways to do this, get a Y-cable, connect both pickups to the same input.

Open the amp up, short out the resistor on the 15dB input causing the 15dB loss.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:34 am

ubertar wrote:I don't think there is a simple equation for this... it's going to vary by impedance. I think your best bet is to do it empirically; put a pot in there temporarily, get it set how you like it, take it out and measure it. Replace with a resistor.

A trimpot isn't much bigger than a resistor... you could save a step that way. Just set it and forget it.
Good points! I was thinking that I could be super slick and wire the resistor right into the cable plug to have one less thing to lose.
Geoff Mann

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:41 am

Drone wrote: Other cheap ways to do this, get a Y-cable, connect both pickups to the same input.
Aaaaand the winner is..... "why didn't I think of that" by a nose!!

This is probably what I'll do :D
Geoff Mann