Great 2 channel convertor + mediocre soundcard with SPDIF=?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Great 2 channel convertor + mediocre soundcard with SPDIF=?

Post by infiniteposse » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:15 pm

Hi all-

I've come into a little money and one of the things I want to get is a good set of stereo convertors (probably Lucid AD 9624). I've got a MOTU 2408MKII which isn't complete cr**, but it's not all that either.

I think I'm right in thinking that a new set of convertors would give me a pretty clean path into my Mac and be a fairly big jump up in sound and image.

Now my question would be, if I get a middle ground kind of 2 in 2 out soundcard (think m-audio or the like) for my new pc laptop and connect the Lucid to the spdif on the so-so soundcard, I will basically be bypassing the not so hot parts of the soundcard and getting all of the benefits of the Lucid's AD, yes? I'd have a killer little 2-in mobile rig fairly painlessly, yes?

I know I'll be winning with the good convertors regardless, I'm iust curious if my logic's missing something.

Any feedback appreciated.

Lee

Bob Olhsson
audio school graduate

Re: Great 2 channel convertor + mediocre soundcard with SPDI

Post by Bob Olhsson » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:39 pm

I think the LynxTwo audio card has converters that are right up with the best of the upper mid-range and the thing lists for only $1100 with six in, two out plus plenty of additional digital ports. I think it is about as good as it gets unless you can spend $5000 on converters alone and you could easily spend more for converters that aren't as good.

The only question I would have is software compatability.
Bob Olhsson
Bob's workroom 615 562-4346