j.johnston
audio school graduate

Looking for opinions on my mp3...

Post by j.johnston » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:44 pm

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Re: Looking for opinions on my mp3...

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:29 pm

Good mix. The production sounds great. All the instruments sound good, too. I particularly like the bass guitar for some reason. The guitars are nice and wide. This sounds like programmed drums, which I don't care for, but at least the drum tones aren't crappy. The snare has a little more ring than I like to hear, but it's not overpowering. The vocals are kind of dull, but on key, not offensive at all.

j.johnston
audio school graduate

Post by j.johnston » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:22 am

Yep , the drums are programmed. I'm really unhappy with them but I don't have the skill nor the room to put down real drums yet.

I purposely made Zane's, the singer I work with, vocals a little dull because his voice has a quality I dislike in the upper mids. His actual voice sounds so much different then the final mix. It's also a patch together of vocal takes.

Does it sound gritty enough. Being an Alsihah, my stuff tends to sound a bit too polished. I'm really working hard to get rid of the digititus.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:14 am

Yep , the drums are programmed. I'm really unhappy with them but I don't have the skill nor the room to put down real drums yet.
I understand that. My main problem with programmed drums is that people often have the drums do things that would be difficult or impossible for a real drummer to pull off. Case in point: the high-hat, ride, and cymbals all used to keep time during the verses. Think about trying to do that with the four limbs you have. :shock: Simplify the parts, and you'll have a more realistic performance.
I purposely made Zane's, the singer I work with, vocals a little dull because his voice has a quality I dislike in the upper mids. His actual voice sounds so much different then the final mix. It's also a patch together of vocal takes.
Man, that sounds familiar, too. My vocalist is definitely not a one-take kind of guy. I sympathize with ya, man.
Does it sound gritty enough. Being an Alsihah, my stuff tends to sound a bit too polished. I'm really working hard to get rid of the digititus.
Sounds fine to me. However, I've only ever used Cubase for tracking and mixing, so my ears might not be able to hear what you're after.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:25 pm

Sounds great! I like the production and the tune. What bass and what was the signal chain on the bass?

j.johnston
audio school graduate

Post by j.johnston » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:15 pm

Thanks,

It was a Warwick bass straight into a soundcraft mixer. I don't remember what plug-ins I used. Probably the 1176 and then the Renassance EQ.