ProTools Buffering Error Message

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
underhill
audio school graduate

ProTools Buffering Error Message

Post by underhill » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:34 pm

Scenario:
while trying to play back audio after cutting and pasting tracks in protools, I get an error message telling me to DECREASE the H/W buffering size in the hardware setup. I do this. I then try the play back again and I get an error message telling me to INCREASE the H/W buffering size. So on and so forth.

Question:
1. What is the H/W buffer doing?
2. How do I get my tracks to play back after cutting and pasting them without getting these error messages?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: ProTools Buffering Error Message

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:24 am

The H/W buffer is a weigh station for digital audio that is being processed. The program retrieves audio from the hard drive and places it in the buffer until such audio can be dealt with by the program. This ensures that the program doesn't choke while trying to play it back.

When you have edit intensive material, strive to bounce such tracks to complete new audio tracks so that the computer doesn't have to continue recreating those edits. Giving the computer many, many calculations to do at any given time can tax what it is capable of doing.

Remember, every crossfade gets played for the first time each time you press the spacebar. Every plugin processes the audio for the first time when you are playing back. Be aware of how much you are asking the program to do.

An unfortunate truth about those 4 H/W Buffer settings is that they are simply not adequate enough in their range of size to make much difference in the operation of the program.

Try reducing the number of plugins you are using instead to get the song to play. Be sure all your audio is playing entirely off of a second hard drive- not the main drive. Be sure that that second hard drive is at least 7200rpm. Two other things to check are, the buffers of both the program and the DAE. If you double click on the DAE prior to opening the program, you'll find parameters for adjustment. Make the buffer the largest possible.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:32 am

Option>Shift>3

consolidate.

It is freaking out about playing across lots of edits on whatever your system is.

I had to do this with my 001 .

underhill
audio school graduate

Post by underhill » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:10 am

thanks for the help. This is for my 001. I'll try your suggestion, Joel.