best firewire drive?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
todd aschoff
audio school graduate

Re: best firewire drive?

Post by todd aschoff » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:02 pm

I have a newer LaCie 160gb FW 800 drive. It is not completely silent, just gurgles now and then, only gets a little warm. On the expensive side of storage though.
Todd

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:22 pm

I just don't understand the markup on these. They all use the same drives and there is really only one chipset to use. The drives in these are either Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate. Same plain old drives that you buy anywhere else. Buy a good enclosure and buy plain drives and you'll have the same effect as these really expensive "audio" drives. A drive is a drive.

However this thread brings up something...

How freaking fragile is digidesign stuff. It seems like the most prissy piece of crap I've ever seen. I was going to buy a digi002 but it was incompatible with my computer. C'mon! It's firewire for crying outloud! The whole point of firewire is interoperability and there are so many things that that the 002 is incompatible with. I was literally on my way to go pick a new one up when I though, "check for one last time." Bam.

coolbreezes
audio school graduate

Post by coolbreezes » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:22 pm

Thanks bombastique! I got my PCI adapter and everything's working fine. I returned the La Cie under the advice of a local studio owner here in Chi-town. He said that Jim O Rourke owned a La Cie and it had melted through one of his drives costing him $2500!!!

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:14 am

I think in terms of reliability, Seagate is still the best, but those Maxtors are pretty damn good.

Sis
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson