ibook vs powerbook

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Re: ibook vs powerbook

Post by andrewfoshee » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:31 pm

thanks chikkenguy ... what interface were you using? i'm thinking about getting an Mbox for now, then moving up to a Digi 002 when i can ... I'm starting to consider an imac now, though i'd like portability so i can record outside on location (such as the beach)

thanks ...[/quote]

chikkenguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by chikkenguy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:03 am

what youre thinking sounds like a fine way to do it. however, you might want to look into a different interface. you can then choose between software. but for the price, the mbox is a good deal considering that it comes with software.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:42 am

I returned an iBook because it did feel like a cheap toy to me.

it had graphics freakouts and the metal thumb screw for the battery just completely broke out of the plastic case housing.

when I tracked the two orders, my iBook shipped from Taiwan (cheap labor) and my Powerbook shipped from California.

That was more than a year ago. The powerbook is still working like a champ!

that said, the newer g4 iBooks are tempting! But, I'd echo the suggestion to get the AppleCare plan. Something on a plastic laptop WILL eventually break!

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:04 am

something else to cosider, and I'm not entirely sure this is still the case, but with my old Powerbook (G3), each internal component is individually replaceable- graphics board, power board, sound board, processor board. Which means cheaper usuer-repairs via ebay or PB resellers. THis way, a PowerBook can last quite a long time. The iBooks however, have everything on one board, which means if you lose sound output (like my wife's iBook did) the only remedy is to replace the entire guts.

Like I said, I'm not sure that's still the case. I'm pretty sure the iBooks are all one board, but for all I know they've gone to that design with PowerBooks too.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:53 am

maz[music] wrote:
Like I said, I'm not sure that's still the case. I'm pretty sure the iBooks are all one board, but for all I know they've gone to that design with PowerBooks too.
They have well, at least in terms of processors. You can't replace your G4 powerbook processor with a faster model which, for example, means I'm stuck with my 667mhz processors

They're such great machines though I forgive them.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

rfbutter
gettin' sounds

Post by rfbutter » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:45 pm

Okay panel, here is my question. I want a laptop to use ableton, and reason for live performance. What is the lowest processor speed I can get away with assuming I max out the ram. Also, what device would you use to send audio signal. Keep in mind it will most likely be used for play back only, I just want something a little better than a 1/8 inch to rca cord from headphone jack to mixer.

Thanks for an info, you peoples are swell. :D
no war for heavy metal!