VST, RTAS and Pro Tools

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
seths374
audio school graduate

VST, RTAS and Pro Tools

Post by seths374 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:58 pm

Hey,

I will be getting Pro tools soon and I am somewhat confused with the VST wrapper concept. Is there many choices for a wrapper? Can I run more than one VST plugin through the wrapper at a time? I am looking to get some plugins for acoustic and electric piano and mellotron. Some offer them in the RTAS format and VST. Would one format be better for PT if I have the option to choose? Does anyone have any suggestions for some good piano and mellotron plugins? And is there a website that I can check out to make more sense of the whole VST thing?

Thanks for reading

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Re: VST, RTAS and Pro Tools

Post by stillafool » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:41 am

As far as I know, fxpansion makes the only one. I've heard it works pretty well, with most plugins.

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:46 am

Vst is the most well supported. Go to the KVR Vst forum (just do a google search; I can't remember the exact URL). The best mellotron plugin seems to be the g-media mellosoftron. They even have a few extra sample CDs of sounds that were sampled off of some famous mellotrons, for not that much money. I think it's at gmedia.com, or something. As far as VST pianos, Steinberg's The Grand is supposed to be excellent, depending on your style.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:29 am

reFuse also makes one. It's free and there is an OSX and OS 9 version. It will only load VST instruments.....no effects. I don't know how good it is because i've never used it, but you can download it here.

Here is a review of it.

-Giahni

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 am

You can try Ugly VST too. Look it up online. It's free, and there's a review of it in one of the Brit sound mags--I think Sound on Sound. I use it to run the B4 in ProTools. The whole VST wrapper thing is really confusing, especially if you don't really understand MIDI all that well. But I've gotten it to work, and the ability to use VST plugs really opens up the sonic palate. Good luck!

seths374
audio school graduate

Post by seths374 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:57 pm

Alright, cool. Thanks guys, I know whats going on now.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:42 am

ReFuse was a pain in the ass IMO. I used it with reason along side PTLE, and it had to be loaded in a very specific way (in 9.2.2) and crashed a lot.

All the other functions had been very stable for me in a professional environment.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:25 am

FXpansion is now touting that their VST->RTAS wrapper for Pro Tools LE will enable you to use Univeral Audio's UAD-1, and TC's Powercore Powered plugin systems....

has anyone got a report on how well these things work? I'm looking into the Powercore because it gives you a lot of really cool options, and it offers the Access Virus Synth.

blacklodge ed
audio school graduate

Post by blacklodge ed » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:21 am

forget the fxpansion wrapper. get bidule. it's free and it rules. check it out here:
http://www.plogue.com/

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:49 pm

Hey seths,
Let's see what I can answer...
seths374 wrote:Is there many choices for a wrapper?
Yes. I use the FXpansion VST-to-RTAS adapter with Pro Tools LE/001 on an Athlon XP PC, so I'll comment on that.
Can I run more than one VST plugin through the wrapper at a time?
The amount of plug-in instances you can run at a time depend on your system speed. More processor/RAM = more plugins.
I am looking to get some plugins for acoustic and electric piano and mellotron. Some offer them in the RTAS format and VST. Would one format be better for PT if I have the option to choose?
RTAS is the native plug-in on the PTLE platform. VST has become a pretty universal format that can run on a bunch of different DAW systems. That being said... when budget allows, I prefer to use RTAS plugs because they're specifically written for PTLE. The VST-to-RTAS wrapper works really well and the amount of freeware VST plugs available alone is worth the $99.00 price tag of the FXpansion adapter. Although some badly written freeware plugs have crashed my system.
Does anyone have any suggestions for some good piano and mellotron plugins?
I use the Lounge Lizard plug-in for electric piano sounds and the G-Media M-tron for Mellotron sounds. Both of these are very stable and are totally RAD!!!
And is there a website that I can check out to make more sense of the whole VST thing?
You can check out people's experiences with VST to RTAS adapters at http://duc.digidesign.com/

Peace!