USB/VGA extender and switcher advice for quiter control room

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
touched1
pushin' record

USB/VGA extender and switcher advice for quiter control room

Post by touched1 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:21 am

So I've moved my studio into a much quiter room, and the roaring of my machines and drives is making me crazy. I have a small closet about 10 or 12 feet away from my workspace that could house all the CPU's and drives, so I'm looking for advice and success stories using USB and VGA or even DVI extenders and switchers.

I am presently using a Dr Bott Moniswitch that I believe is hanging my USB buses and occasionally KPing my G4. I have an identical one at work that gives me no trouble.

Any advice on this topic would be appreciated, even it's just a couple of URL's for me to check out.

Thanks in advance,

johnwy
audio school graduate

Re: USB/VGA extender and switcher advice for quiter control

Post by johnwy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:45 am

Gefen makes extender boxes and such..............never had a problem with them and you can put your computer about a quarter mile away if you wanted to

website is:

http://www.gefen.com/
WAIT!!! WHERE ARE YOU GOING????

I was going to make espresso!

drliebs
gettin' sounds

Post by drliebs » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:28 am

I had a cheap vga extender that I bought from radio shack and it caused the screen to have a weird blue hue, like one of the guns in the monitor was bad. I guess cheap is the keyword there...

Also at work we had belkin boxes that were bad. We got replacements and the work great now.

As long as you don't have any audio gear running off the USB, and extender should work. Avoid using other USB stuff if your audio hardware is using USB. Also, there is a limit on the lenght of a USB cable can run, I think it is like 15 feet unless you start putting USB hubs in place to boost the signal.

I had a computer start acting weird after I put it in a cubby hole of a desk. Turns out it was overheating, make sure your location has good circulation.
If it's not Scottish it's CRAP

john1192
audio school

Post by john1192 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:12 pm

gefen cat 5 1000

works great ... on 100 ft cat 5 cable

john