plug-in delay compensation...

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

plug-in delay compensation...

Post by thearnicasync » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:17 pm

Hi there,

Hey, how do I know if this is getting me? I use logic, on a mac, and I use a cagillion plug-ins.

I keep reading about it, but I'm still really confused...

Can anyone explain this as though I were a kindergartner? Wait...I am a kindergartner.

Thanks to anyone,

kelly

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: plug-in delay compensation...

Post by bentonevolution » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:51 am

pretty sure logic does it automatically.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:01 pm

You have to check the option for plug-in delay compensation in Logic's preferences.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:04 pm

I think Digital Performer (my personal choice of Digital Audio Workstation) is the chief offender in this category...the way it's programmed has it's positive attributes (unlimited tracks) and drawbacks (no built-in delay compensation). I used to use Cubase and it had a button you checked off in your hardware setup that said "automatic delay compensation" and that was all it took. Perhaps your DAW is the same?

In any case, that button was also used to compensate for MONITORING latency (listening to your incoming signal live as you performed it without there being a delay), which at the time was what I used it for.

As I understand it, you won't have any issues with software-based effects plugins regardless of DAW so don't sweat it. The latency compensator plugins you have been hearing about are specifically used in conjunction with DSP-based plugins (that stands for Digital Signal Processor), which in English means you are actually installing a hardware card inside your computer in order to use specific effects plugins that were MADE for that hardware card.

The reason to have a DSP card is that it takes the load off your computer's processor so you can use higher-quality plugins and more instances of 'em at a time. The delay happens as your computer routes audio to and from that card and back yo your DAW. So, the delay compensator plugins actually come WITH the card along with all the other plugins made for it. You won't find 'em for sale at Guitar Center by themselves so to speak. The way they work is on every track NOT using the plugin that is causing the delay you have to insert the compensator.

Some common examples of this kind of DSP card are the Universal Audio UAD-1 card and the TC PowerCore card. As you can tell, along with the benefits of using these cards are some major drawbacks IF you are using a DAW that does not automatically delay compensate. Poor stupid fucking me hooked on Digital Performer I had to sell my UAD-1 card it was so ridiculous to use. You might have no problems on your DAW.

Hope that helps...good luck!
Adam
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com