sample rate questions

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

sample rate questions

Post by bentonevolution » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:15 am

I currently record at 24 bit, 44.1 kHz. I was doing this because I master my own music in wavelab 4.0 and was scared of the sample rate converters within that program. I would ideally like to record at 88.2kHz. Is the sample rate conversion in Wavelab, high enough quality to justify recording at this high sample rate? or will it introduce more problems in my audio?

brew
pushin' record

Re: sample rate questions

Post by brew » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:37 am

Why not test it out yourself and see what you think?

It's good to see some people question the quality of a digital process like this.

bentonevolution

Post by bentonevolution » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:49 am

brew wrote:Why not test it out yourself and see what you think?

It's good to see some people question the quality of a digital process like this.
Haha...good idea...i'll do that. Yeah i don't want to do anything to downgrade the quality of an already digital sound.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:33 am

IMHO,

The capture rate will affect your overall sound. Tracking at 88.2, and having a bunch of tracks, I always notice an amount of clarity and depth (simple explanation) to the tracks as I listen to the mixes. I prefer 88.2 as a capture rate for acoustic instruments, then go to 44.1 for the two track. I normally print to 2 track analog, then re-record the two track in to protools at 88.2 AND 44.1. Usually the 44.1 will win. If you are bouncing to disk, I have no idea, because I dont do that anymore from multitrack sessions, and I havent really ever been a fan of it. I have always used protools like a tape machine.

bentonevolution

Post by bentonevolution » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:IMHO,

The capture rate will affect your overall sound. Tracking at 88.2, and having a bunch of tracks, I always notice an amount of clarity and depth (simple explanation) to the tracks as I listen to the mixes. I prefer 88.2 as a capture rate for acoustic instruments, then go to 44.1 for the two track. I normally print to 2 track analog, then re-record the two track in to protools at 88.2 AND 44.1. Usually the 44.1 will win. If you are bouncing to disk, I have no idea, because I dont do that anymore from multitrack sessions, and I havent really ever been a fan of it. I have always used protools like a tape machine.
ndividua
unfortunately i am bouncing to disk. I am looking into a 2 track right now...that seems like the best thing to do.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:09 pm

Do you have a console?

Just print the mix through something good like a mix comp, or some 1272's and right back in, so only the stereo track is being "number crunched."

I am just using my ears, not my calculator. I hope any of these mad ramblings inspire you in any way.

Sincerely,
-Joel