New to computer recording. What do I need to know?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Catoogie
buyin' a studio

New to computer recording. What do I need to know?

Post by Catoogie » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:09 pm

I?m planning on getting a computer to replace my current recording set-up but I know next to nothing when it comes to the technical details. I could really use a ground-up lesson on what to look for. I use a computer at work but I don?t know anything about speed or memory blah, blah, blah. Is there a book or magazine I should read to get up to snuff. Can someone out there school me?

I?m think I?d like to use Pro Tools since so many people use it and knowing it would put me in the loop. HELP!!

bokononlives
audio school graduate

Re: New to computer recording. What do I need to know?

Post by bokononlives » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:52 pm

Since you want to use Pro Tools, you should check out the digidesign Mbox.
This will give you the protools software and a USB hardware interface with two mic preamps. This should run you about $500 I think and is actually a pretty good deal. If you want more inputs you'll have to step it up to the digi02.
As far as the computer goes, I use a mac so I can really only advise you on those. If you don't have much money and want portability, I'd pick up a new g4 ibook. For desktops, try and get a g4 tower. Once the g5 came out the price really dropped on those.
As for memory: 512mb should be your goal.
If you need midi (for sequencing synths), you can get a midi interface for pretty cheap.
That's it really. The cool thing about protools (or the thing that's not cool about protools depending on who you ask) is that you get the audio interface and software all in one package.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:19 am

a good book i have is called The Desktop Studio by Emile D. Menasche.

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?c ... &meta_id=1

It's a good resource because it goes through the basic computer functions, the internal stuff, and then into MIDI and audio, plug-ins, editing, software, etc. i like it and it's an easy read.

if you want protools, you could read their manual or get one of the ProTools POWER! books... i'm not sure what those are worth though.

for magazines, try Electronic Musician, EQ, *TapeOp*, etc... there's always some computer/protools articles.

Everything you're going to do depends on two things: how much money you have and how much time you want to spend on it. a big, fancy rig for big production jobs? or a little but nice efficient thing for your own on-the-side stuff. What do you say?
that devil bastard protools

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:47 am

I?m putting this rig together mainly for myself and my personal projects so I really don?t need a huge blown out system. I just want something that I can record on and use some plug-ins and maybe some virtual instruments.

I would love to buy as much of this stuff as I can, used. I?m always looking for a bargain.

I?ve already done a bunch of recording both in commercial studios and with my small, limited ?song-writer? rig but I?m just now wanting to get into it a bit more seriously. I?m in a weird spot because I?ve been playing and recording in professional bands for along, long time but I?m kinda clueless when it comes to technical aspect of recording or computers. I mean I don?t even a thing about soundcards.

I use a computer everyday but I don?t know the first thing about the specs what I should look for in buying one. I want to go Mac, because I?ve used them in the past and really liked them. Same with Pro Tools, I want to be able to link up with other people and I know most of the people I deal with already have it. That?s not to say I won?t try some other things at some point.

Thanks for all of your help.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:22 am

Why not get a G4 and Nuendo?

Nuendo can handle VST instruments -- ProTools cannot (without an additional VST-RTAS converter program). I think Nuendo is a little more user-friendly and definitely setup to handle music better than the big open-ness that is PT.

Grab some little i/o and MIDI interface -- the M-audio firewire one is alright. You can do two audio in's and there's a MIDI In-out-thru on the back, i believe. M-Audio Firewire 410...

If you get a used G4 I wager you could get all of that for under a thousand if you're lucky... maybe. i'm not certain what nuendo goes for. but definitely under 1500.

and you certainly don't need to go with that m-audio box.. it's just the first one that came to mind that has audio and midi on it that's kind of small and that's not crap.

this help any?

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:19 am

So would any G4 be able to handle my fairly modest recording needs?

What is a fire wire?

What RAM? I know it's Random Access Memory but what does it do and for what tasks do you rely on it? How much do I need.

How do people use mixers/consoles with computers when recording? How do you interface them?

Please stick with me. I'm clueless at the moment but I'm learning.

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:56 am

Catoogie wrote:So would any G4 be able to handle my fairly modest recording needs?

What is a fire wire?

What RAM? I know it's Random Access Memory but what does it do and for what tasks do you rely on it? How much do I need.

How do people use mixers/consoles with computers when recording? How do you interface them?

Please stick with me. I'm clueless at the moment but I'm learning.
I hope the G4 is good enough, that's what I've got, and it's only a lil' 400mhz. I doubt I could get $200 for it, even with all the software that's on it. Actually that's why I decided to keep it, just dump all the software and use it exclusively for music. I can't speak from experience yet, I'm still setting up the system. I just added some RAM -- that's key. I'm at 640mb now.

Firewire is a faster way to transfer information than USB. It's an input/output on the computer that hooks up to peripherals via its own type of cable. For audio use, its main function will be to hook up an external hard drive to yr computer for you to keep all your audio files on. Your software stays in the main HD, all your big memory-eating music files go on the external HD.

RAM is the memory your computer uses to process stuff while you are running a particular piece of software. The more RAM you have, the more efficiently your computer can use the software, and the more programs you can run simultaneously. RAM doesn't STORE anything, it's used while a program (programs) is (are) running (please correct me if I'm not quite nailing it, I'm a luddite). Foe example, if you are starving for RAM, you may not be able to record a song with as many tracks, use as many computer-based effects, etc., as if you had more RAM. My G4 came with 128mb installed. I just added another 512mb to mine. I don't really plan on using a lot of computer-based effects, and I don't plan on doing 64-track symphonies, so I figure I'm ok.

the mixer/console ? -- You need a way to plug inputs into your computer (mics, instruments, etc.). That's what the interface is -- it converts analog signals into digtal ones, and back to analog for monitoring through outboard speakers (and for mixing down to analog tape if you so desire). There are a million of them at all price points out there. Read around on this and othre boards and you'll find a billion arguments for one or another. I have a MOTU 828, which is probably more unit than I really need -- it has room for 8 mic/line inputs at once, good if you are miking up a drum kit (which I don't have -- I have a drum machine that I can make sound fairly life-like, with tricks and such). I do mostly one track at a time.

What's cool about the 8 inputs on the MOTU (which isn't unique in this regard) is that, if I had one, I could take an analog mixer with individual channel outs and run up to 8 at a time into the MOTU. That's if you'd rather have an actual physical mixer in front of you than doing your mixing via the software you are using. The MOTU comes bundled with Audio Desk software, which is pretty good, it's basically a version of MOTU's Digital Performer but without the capability of using MIDI (which I know very little about, and that may be my next piece of the pie to try and chew). When mixing on the computer, the software brings up a window that looks like a mixing board (hopefully, for an idiot like me), and you control everything with your trusty mouse.

I answered this post as much to clarify stuff I'm learning in my own mind as to explain them to you. If I'm dead wrong about something, somebody please tell me and Catoogie before he blames me for f-ing up his s.
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:30 pm

junokane wrote:I answered this post as much to clarify stuff I'm learning in my own mind as to explain them to you. If I'm dead wrong about something, somebody please tell me and Catoogie before he blames me for f-ing up his s.
pretty right on for a luddite. :wink:

the interface is pretty much your biggest decision, and the software is the second biggest. it's really about, like junokane said, how many mics you want to have up at one time. the software is another issue...

Digital Performer is really great with MIDI and it's alright with audio. Nuendo, I'm told, pretty much rocks, but I don't use it. Those are two programs that use VST Plug-ins.. those are virtual instruments.. virtual synthesizers, etc. like you mentioned.

i'd agree again with junokane -- if you want a drum kit setup, try the MOTU 828MKII (MKII or MKIII? I forget). It's got the 8 I/0 for mic/line... and then I'd get Digital Performer and just be done with it.

Don't forget a nice quality set of monitors!

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:27 pm

thanks guys this is the kinda stuff I'm interested in.

I am going to want to mic up a kit so I'm gonna want at least 8 tracks at a time. Actually 8 channels should be fine...for now.

I already have a bunch of mics and a decent pair of monitors (Event 20/20BAS) if you meant speakers and not computer screen.

I'm not planning on doing a bunch of MIDI.

I'm gonna try and hunt down a used G4 and then research Nuendo and Digital Performer as well.

How much would a used Digi 001 run me?

How about plug-ins, like the vintage warmer, and bomb factory stuff etc.... I'm interested in checking out the plug-in versions of the classic old school compressors and mic pres etc... Can a G4 handle some of those as well?

I real

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:53 am

the G4 should be fine, but you need to get more specific. My G4, which shit the bed last night (not to discourage you. It's old and incontinent, and the problem had nothing to do with audio stuff at all), it's processor speed is only like 400mhz. Which is slow (the G5 is probably 4 times that). I still think it will work fine for what I'm doing. If you're going to get a newer G4, you'll find faster processors. Combine that with an assload of RAM, and you'll be fine, I should think. Remember, plug-ins and stuff will use RAM up and weigh on your processor, so if you are going to get into that much, get something fast and RAM-full.

I don't plan on messing much with plug-ins at first (once i'm up and running), because I'm interested in learning the knobs on the outboard gear I've been piecing together.

I've got the EV 20-20BAS monitors too. I like them fine. Beats what I had before.

thanks, JCA83, that's the first time I've taken a shot at giving advice to anybody else on this or any board, really. I'm glad I'm retaining some of the stuff I've learned (much of it here).
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:39 pm

My own 2 cents, to be taken for what it's worth, is that Digital Performer outguns the more established ProTools in every manner possible, starting with all the effect plug-ins that come with it. ProTools was there first, but I'm pretty sure that for $400 (the price of Digital Performer after you've bought the MOTU 828 interface), you don't get anywhere near the amount of built-in effects if going the ProTools route. And actually, the software that comes with the 828 (Audiodesk) is just DP without midi, so you can get all those plug-ins along with the audio interface for about $750.

If you get as old a G4 as some of us on this board have (my first day here, and I've already run into two posters with the original single-processor 400 mHz model that I have), it won't run virtual instruments all that well - the CPU and motherboard are too puny. But I just saw an ad for a dual-processor G4 500 mhZ for $850, which is pretty good, and should do the trick.

I do know from experience that you should max out your RAM right away while you can still purchase whatever type of RAM goes in your computer. Once it becomes rare (no longer needed by the computer industry for its more recent models), it gets costly.

And a warning: once you've entered computer recording, there's no turning back. EVERYTHING else seems archaic, including with the lack of an UNDO button for when you've just erased something....