oh shit! i bought an adat! Now what?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
d.olivier
audio school graduate

oh shit! i bought an adat! Now what?

Post by d.olivier » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:48 pm

i had this vague "plan" that i could use the M20s xlr ins and 24bit converters and then adat light pipe to some kinda computer card (cheap one), thereby using the adat as an 24bit a to d converter that is huge and can make back up copies. was i totally wrong? any ideas?
and they will know us by the trail of the

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: oh shit! i bought an adat! Now what?

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:59 am

ADAT EDIT card by alesis. Comes with a multitrack editing program, and accepts ADAT sync straight from the sync cable.

Works well for ADAT transfers. It will create files compatible with every major DAW.

It is probably like 100 bucks on ebay these days, IF that.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:42 am

I thought ADAT's were 20 bit machines.

Right? Wrong?

d.olivier
audio school graduate

Post by d.olivier » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:11 am

they are in terms of what the put to tape. The type II is 20 bit, but i think the a to d conversion is 24bit and then reduced to 20 when it prints. I have heard about the adat card. I was just wondering if, now that the adat light pipe or whatever is a standard that is used on products that don't or never had anything to do with adat the tape recording. If there is a way to have sound go into the adat through the adat connection to a card, bypassing the tape transport. You know, like running sound through a tape deck for compression butin this case for 8 tracks of a to d.
and they will know us by the trail of the

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:37 am

does the adat have an input monitor toggle? I would think the record ready mode would work. Tracks armed but the transport stopped.

logancircle
tinnitus

green about ADAT

Post by logancircle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:36 pm

Hate to ask such a basic question, but I'm curious: when you take an ADAT recorder to a gig and you're recording, say, a drum kit and bass guit, do you need 8 preamps or what? Thanks.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi,
The adat edit card only has drivers for win 98, and thats a bummer if you have a windows computer. Also, you need a way to monitor. The adats only alow 1 way conversion when you are using them as a front end. E-mu has a 1212m card that just came out, with adat I/O, and it's own 24 bit 2 channel I/O...supposed to be the same as the digi converters. I think it streets for 200 US. I use an RME Hammerfall, AI3 and Adat Blackface for digital, with Cubase.
mrc
Last edited by mrc on Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drummerdan
gettin' sounds

Post by drummerdan » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:24 pm

I dump my 20 bit adat data into Win98 via a Lexicon Core 2 (in 98 only). It has adat litepipe in and out, and a breakout box with 4 analog ins and 8 analog outs. I used take the litepipe in to the computer, then send it out via the 8 analog outs into my mixer. On a side note, the 4 analog ins on the core 2 are nice when you have a small project. you dont have to fire up the adat(s). I recomend the Lexicon core 2, if you can live with 98 ( I love it). And I too like having a VHS backup.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:08 pm

Just be aware that the lexicon's don't do win 2000 or xp, to the best of my recollection, so you are stuck to a second rate (at best) os, win 98, and they don't do asio very well, if at all, so you will be pushed out of the world of vst plugins. People tried these with cubase when they first came out, and gave up. Asio and the right soundcard, gives you sample accurate lock to your adat. This will also affect Logic and any other asio daw program.
Good Luck,
mrc

Current Resistance
gettin' sounds

Post by Current Resistance » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:25 pm

Hate to ask such a basic question, but I'm curious: when you take an ADAT recorder to a gig and you're recording, say, a drum kit and bass guit, do you need 8 preamps or what? Thanks.
Yes. I usually just use my 16 channel mackie board.