i don't want to "mix" outside the box...but i want

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

i don't want to "mix" outside the box...but i want

Post by bentonevolution » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:57 am

ok...I am using nuendo with a 2.6 pentium, 1 gig of ram laptop. My interface is a motu 828 mkII. I want to record at 24/96. I want to use Nuendo's mix capabilities (plugins, routing), but I want to sum the signal together outside, ideally keeping my pan information from nuendo (even though that seems impossible). After I sum the signals (channels, auxes, etc) I'm sending it to a 2 track analog machine, then back into nuendo at 24/96 as a 2 tracks. At this point I will use wavelab for mastering the 2 track along with waves mastering bundle, steinberg mastering edition, etc. Then it will go back out onto the 2 track tape mastered. Then it will comeback in 16/44.1. No dither, no sample rate change, using analog summing with the convenience of plugins. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: i don't want to "mix" outside the box...but i

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:37 am

When you come back from tape, capture it at 24/44.1.

Let the mastering person do the conversion, but impart any moves in 24 bit world before going to 16.

As far as summing goes, you would need a specific summing box that seems to be all over the place these days.

Just my two cents.

fillmoresound
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: i don't want to "mix" outside the box...but i

Post by fillmoresound » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:45 am

You may experience signal degredation when moving from analog to digital, and back. I'd recommend skipping the mastering software, and simply print to 1/2" tape. You'll already get natural tape compression in this step if comp and limiting is primarily what you're doing w/ 'mastering' software. If you have a good multiband compressor, it can do wonders.