digidesign's M BOX???

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
mtsince77
pluggin' in mics

digidesign's M BOX???

Post by mtsince77 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:09 pm

running digital performer and hopefully eventually PT on an ibook 1ghz 733 mb ram. any feedback on the M BOX...thanks!

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Re: digidesign's M BOX???

Post by ryan_c » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:57 pm

I really like mine. It can be a little wonky here and there, but overall I've had a good experience with it. The only real drawback is the fact that it only has two ins and outs. I use a mixer so I can record more than two mics at once, which is a pain in the ass and really limits your flexibility. I'm also just starting out though, so I feel like being limited and being forced to make and live with decisions and coming to creative solutions is hopefully beneficial. It's a great buy for the price, though.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Re: digidesign's M BOX???

Post by choke3d » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:03 pm

yeah, i love mine too. the two track-thing can be an issue, as long as you are pretty positive that you won't need more, or have nother option when recording more than two sources it is pretty great. the pres are pretty colorless, and don't have a lot of gain, so i always end up using external pres.
i end up tracking drums elsewhere, and use the m-box for guitars (close mic and distanced mic simultaneously in the two tracks), bass, vocals, etc. with my home studio, i pretty much just do overdubs, and paired with a 1/4 " 2-track tape machine, it all works out well. (sometimes for bounce down, sometimes for sending a track over to tape for 'the sound")
i recently recorded an album on a Tascam 1/2 " 8 track and used the m-box for final mixdown - the high end does get a little more brittle, but with a little adjustment i felt no perceptible loss in quality from the 8 track (granted, the 8-track was totally pro-sumer, so it is pretty lo-fi as well).