can someone help me with my frozen ipod?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
bert
gettin' sounds

can someone help me with my frozen ipod?

Post by bert » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:36 pm

i have one of the 5 gig ipods and it's been fine for years but as of a few days ago it started to flash the apple sign and when I try and push the menu and play buttons to reset it or whatever it gives me the battery icon. i dunno. the battery is fine, i just took it ona trip and it played for hours. if anyone knows anything that can help that'd be great.

I am able to play it through my computer when I have itunes open, but when i plug it into the computer it doesn't just pop up automatically like it used to, i have to finegel it to get it to come up in itunes and then I can listen to the songs. but anyways...

please please help. I can't function in the city with out my ipod. thanks

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Re: can someone help me with my frozen ipod?

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:25 pm

dunno if this helps :

??

iPod hard reset

If your iPod won't mount on your computer's desktop and can't be soft restored, you need to hard reset. Follow these steps to mount the iPod:
Connect the iPod to a built-in FireWire port on your computer (it won't work with an unpowered FireWire port on a PC Card, for example).
Reset the iPod by pressing the Play and Menu buttons for 10 seconds.
When you see the Apple logo, press and hold the Previous and Next buttons for 10 seconds.
The FireWire icon should appear in your iPod's display.

The really hard iPod reset

If your iPod won't start up no matter what you've tried, you might be able to make it work again by disassembling the unit, unplugging the battery and hard drive, plugging the battery and hard drive in again, and then reassembling the iPod.
???
Remember, if your iPod is still under warranty, take advantage of that warranty and have your iPod looked at rather than pulling it apart. If Apple learns that you've opened an iPod, there's a possibility that Apple won't honor your warranty.