Motu 828 mic level - input gain all the way up, signal low

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
2pints
audio school graduate

Motu 828 mic level - input gain all the way up, signal low

Post by 2pints » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:31 pm

I've acquired a Motu 828 (original) which is connected via FW to a Mac (Quicksilver 1GHz DP).

Besides a terribly noisy main volume pot, I'm concerned about the input levels, but not sure if my inexperience may be a factor.

This is early in my setup, so the DAW software has not been finalized nor is any installed, but when mics are connected to the inputs on the 828 the input gain knobs must be turned all the way up to show any input signal on the front. At the Mac the levels are uselessly low. I have tried various dynamic mics, including everything from SM57 to high impredence Green Bullet to an old battery powered Realistic 33-1080.

Is this normal, and some signal gain required via software or similar? If I run iMovie and record audio for a voice over, it is ridiculously low and unusable.

Thanks

honkytonk
gettin' sounds

Re: Motu 828 mic level - input gain all the way up, signal l

Post by honkytonk » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:50 pm

yeah the micpres have really low gain and just kinda suck. your gonna have to buy some outboard pres if you wanna get anything decent sounding into your system imo.

tenaciousjay
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tenaciousjay » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:17 pm

I've got one and pretty much stay under 12 o'clock on the input levels and it seems fine. I think I've gone up to about 3 o'clock at the highest. I record loud rock bands, though, haven't tried it on any quieter sources than vocals. I have used dynamics as well as condensers with it, though I guess I tend to use condensers more on those channels (usually for drum overheads).

When I set up 2 mics for recording band practice using a pair of Octava MC012s I can snap my fingers and see on the front panel that there's a level present (or not if I forgot to turn on phantom power).

I want some better preamps but using the built in ones has been adequate.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:52 pm

Have you tried turning on the phantom power? What mic are you using? With the mic, are you using an XLR?

2pints
audio school graduate

Post by 2pints » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:20 pm

spiral wrote:Have you tried turning on the phantom power? What mic are you using? With the mic, are you using an XLR?
spiral, I listed some of the mics I have tried in my original post. Mainly an SM57 via XLR. I have not tried phantom power. I do have Microtech Gefell M300 I could try with the 48v, but that doesn't help with my dynamic mics.

I did just notice that in the front of the 828 manual there is an illustration showing approximate trim positions on inputs 1 and 2 for a mic. They show 12 o'clock for a condensor and 3 for a dynamic. Well, about 3 is where I begin to see analog activity lights on the front of the 828 with the SM57, but the signal at the computer is too low to do anything with even all the way up. I guess with pro audio apps I raise the levels via software? Just doesn't seem like it's line level.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:38 pm

2pints wrote:spiral, I listed some of the mics I have tried in my original post. Mainly an SM57 via XLR. I have not tried phantom power. I do have Microtech Gefell M300 I could try with the 48v, but that doesn't help with my dynamic mics.
I only asked because i didn't know if that switch was a line/mic switch. I've personally never used the preamps. Just trying to troubleshoot the obvious first.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:57 pm

i record usually very quiet music with my 828mk2 and still need to watch like a hawk for clips. i know they made many improvements for the second edition.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon May 03, 2004 7:23 am

Just thought i'd tip the scale a little and add that i really LIKE the pres in the 828 mkI!

They're not competitors with the big boys, but they're really solid and clear pres. I actually like them for drum overheads, some vocals, and guitar (e609 on spkr cab). ..

-James

2pints
audio school graduate

Post by 2pints » Mon May 03, 2004 3:36 pm

An update:

I called Motu support today, and the suggestion was that I turn on 48v since I had not been using it, and that sometimes preamp circuits need to be "shocked" back to life, if you will. I have never heard that, but did as he suggested. Sure enough, now the levels with the dynamic mics are better, though not nearly high enough in my opinion. I dug out my Gefell M300 and there is plenty of gain with a condenser mic. Still need more gain with the dynamics, but it seems the 828 may just not be capable.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Mon May 03, 2004 4:00 pm

Remember that one time i suggested that. ;)

2pints
audio school graduate

Post by 2pints » Mon May 03, 2004 5:28 pm

spiral wrote:Remember that one time i suggested that. ;)
Yes, you did. 2 points.

And I guess I should have tried it, but I was of course correlating that with condenser mics, not voodoo.

So spiral, do you have much experience with the original 828? And if so, do my better-but-still-lowish levels from dynamic mics and plenty of gain from condensers seem normal for it?

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Mon May 03, 2004 6:38 pm

2pints wrote:So spiral, do you have much experience with the original 828? And if so, do my better-but-still-lowish levels from dynamic mics and plenty of gain from condensers seem normal for it?
I have one. Have used it. Still use it. I don't use the preamps to record. Yes they seem to be on the weak side especially for a dynamic. I just tried an EV DS35 and had to have it around 3 o'clock to get a signal, tapping on the front.