Presonus Digimax 96k: wall-wart?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Presonus Digimax 96k: wall-wart?

Post by cashed checks » Wed May 05, 2004 7:39 pm

after reading up on it i see that it has a separate 'power module' but what comes out of there? i hope not another one of those godforsaken wall warts--if it has one i need to reconfig my rack. thanks!

ctmsound
george martin

Re: Presonus Digimax 96k: wall-wart?

Post by ctmsound » Wed May 05, 2004 8:59 pm

It's HUUUUGE! It's about 6x8", if not bigger by a few. Has this ridiculous heatsink on the back. and the power button is on it as well.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu May 06, 2004 8:16 am

Why not get the Focusrite Octopre, which has a built in power supply?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Thu May 06, 2004 12:11 pm

bombastique wrote:Why not get the Focusrite Octopre, which has a built in power supply?
1) because you have to buy the extra card and install it

2) i found a used digimax 96k for $800

how's about telling me about an upcoming purchase of yours so i can tell you to get something else? j/k, it's all good. it wouldn't be a messageboard without getting advice about a question you never asked!

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Thu May 06, 2004 6:24 pm

I have a Digimax LT and it has the built-in power supply and regular IEC power cable. Strange that the Digimax has a wall wart, seems like they would be the same.
my band: Mission 5

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri May 07, 2004 9:59 am

astronaut wrote:
bombastique wrote:Why not get the Focusrite Octopre, which has a built in power supply?
1) because you have to buy the extra card and install it

2) i found a used digimax 96k for $800

how's about telling me about an upcoming purchase of yours so i can tell you to get something else? j/k, it's all good. it wouldn't be a messageboard without getting advice about a question you never asked!
I only made the suggestion because you made no mention of even knowing about the Focusrite (and which some dealers still have the special which included the card and goes for around $950 new...), nor that you were considering a used Digimax.

I know you said you're 'kidding' but in the future you may want to take into consideration that I was only trying to help. It angers me when I get responses like yours.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Fri May 07, 2004 10:19 pm

sorry 'bout that. the only thing that's a given about the internet is shit-talk. it goes with the territory. there's other things in life to get angry about other than a messageboard. plus i have a couple of friends on here and we sometimes have a good back and forth in fun.

i would be interested in an octopre if i knew i could get it with the card for 950 like you said, but have never ran accross any deals like that. thanks for the heads up though.

IronMaidenX
gettin' sounds

Post by IronMaidenX » Mon May 17, 2004 3:13 pm

Get the Digimax96k...it's made in the USA...Octopre is made in China. I have one and it's great...especially for recording drums, which seems to be what it was made for. - Another note...I emailed Presonus customer support a couple times...and within minutes I got responses. You can't beat that.

And the thing about the wal-wart...I would'nt exactly say it's a wal-wart....it's more like a 15 lb. steel brick with a heat sink on it...probably designed to keep the mic-pres quiet and removed from any sort of interference from a typical built in power supply.