Help Me send files over the internet

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
cfrutig6
audio school graduate

Help Me send files over the internet

Post by cfrutig6 » Thu May 06, 2004 11:45 am

Hello,
I am new to the networking thing.
I have a friend in San Fransisco and I am in the Akron, OH area.
He is recording a friend's band in Cali and wants me to mix/master the recordings here in Ohio. Is there a way we can send tracks/mp3s/.wav/.aiff files over the internet?
Can we simply Email them or do we need something like MSN messenger (I've heard of sharing files with this).
I am running a Mac with protools le with a cable internet connection.
He has a PC with a DSL connection and some other software than PT

help and THANKS

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: Help Me send files over the internet

Post by kcrusher » Thu May 06, 2004 12:17 pm

Emailing will typically not work, as the file sizes are too large. You should NOT be working with MP3's for mastering purposes - possibly for 'scratch' or reference tracks, but never for final mixes or masters.

You could use AIM or iChat to do the transfer. Make sure you have each other on your 'buddy list' (iChat works with almost all chat clients) and then just 'attach' the file to a message in a session. In iChat it's under the 'Buddies' menu 'attach file'.

With large files, this can take awhile, so probably best to do it when you're not going to need your computer for awhile.

Another method is to get some web space and upload/download files. You can get 500mb of webspace for about $5/mo at www.1and1.com. Then it's just a matter of uploading the files. On Mac, Fetch is a good app for uploading/downloading, on PC I've used SmartFTP. Both are very inexpensive.

There IS always US Mail - 2 or 3 day delivery is about $3.50.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu May 06, 2004 12:18 pm

cfrutig6 wrote:Hello,
I am new to the networking thing.
I have a friend in San Fransisco and I am in the Akron, OH area.
He is recording a friend's band in Cali and wants me to mix/master the recordings here in Ohio. Is there a way we can send tracks/mp3s/.wav/.aiff files over the internet?
Can we simply Email them or do we need something like MSN messenger (I've heard of sharing files with this).
I am running a Mac with protools le with a cable internet connection.
He has a PC with a DSL connection and some other software than PT

help and THANKS
You email program will have a limit on file size - probably 5 megs or so. I have not tried IM, but if your unmixed song files are anything like mine (1+ gig per song), most internet based transfers are out of the question. Converting to mp3s or some lossy codec and then mixing/mastering is a bit pointless IMHO.

I have another suggestion - the us postal service. Sure it will take a couple of days, but it's >way< more convenient. It's also a lot faster than you may think. It won't take much more than a day or 3.

I am doing this with an artist from england, mixing him for surround sound.

E-Lo
audio school graduate

Post by E-Lo » Thu May 06, 2004 1:37 pm

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Thu May 06, 2004 2:54 pm

i live in louisville and i regularly transfer fiels with a friend in chicago. We use the host server that his website is on. You should contact your ISP, you may already have server space as part of you internet service. If so you can use a program like fetch or filezilla to do your transfers. basically you just need an address for a host server and a password and either of the above mentioned programs will take it from there for you.
Oh and usually I don't tranfer whole protools files. I just tranfer the wave files and build my own protools file out of them. good luck!

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Thu May 06, 2004 5:29 pm

www.yousendit.com

this is exactly what you want...transfer up to 1 gig per email.

your welcome.

cfrutig6
audio school graduate

Post by cfrutig6 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:59 pm

THANK YOU EVERYONE
This is the first time I've posted a question and within 10 hours I've got several suggestions.
I have many options I see, but, if anyone has anymore suggestions please post them.

Thanks again

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Fri May 07, 2004 7:46 am

Fetch is an awesome FTP client for Mac, but you only get to use it for thirty days before you have to shell out for it. Which is cool, but I have enough things I have to pay for without adding an FTP program that I won't use everyday to the list. I use a program called Fugu, which is pretty much the same thing but it's freeware.

If your friend has the upload, try rocking a web server. That will take a long time to get the files loaded, though, so I would also go with sending it by mail. I think you can overnight something for thirteen bucks, which is worth the aggravation of hours of babysitting monsterous file uploads.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

Toddf
takin' a dinner break

Post by Toddf » Fri May 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Try idisc at www.apple.com. You have to download the idisc software and then you upload your file to your folder and anyone can download it to their computer. You have to join up but I think you get 60 days free. The person downloading doesn't have to join. Just download the software. It works on Mac and PC's. There are some limitations with older computers though. Todd F.
Todd Fitzgerald
Producer/Engineer
Winterland Studios
Minneapolis, MN
www.winterlandstudios.com

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Wed May 12, 2004 2:27 pm

how does yousendit.com make money??

selling email lists?

Toddf
takin' a dinner break

Post by Toddf » Thu May 13, 2004 12:36 am

I think you send it will come out with a pay service also. Like anything yahoo email etc. They give you some space free but you end up needing more, then you pay. Todd F.
Todd Fitzgerald
Producer/Engineer
Winterland Studios
Minneapolis, MN
www.winterlandstudios.com

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Thu May 13, 2004 3:54 am

I've used the windows messenger to attach files -- works pretty well. I've sent images, mp3s. I haven't sent any huge files, but it works great for small/medium files. Just put whoever your sending the file to on your buddy list (their email address that they used to sign up), open the messenger, and click a button that says "attach." If you're doing alot of stuff on a continual basis, you might want to get an ftp account.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Fri May 21, 2004 9:51 am

1and1.com has not been very good for me. Their FAQ section is unclear and you CAN'T get through to their tech support #. You have to already know a lot about 1and1 before trying to use 1and1, which seems silly compared to geocities and easy sites like that.