I'm thinking about going from pc to g5...i need suggestions

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

I'm thinking about going from pc to g5...i need suggestions

Post by bentonevolution » Fri May 14, 2004 9:54 am

I have a 2.6 ghz 1 gig of ram laptop pc running logic 5.5.1 and nuendo 2.0.

I really love logic and I'm disappointed that I cannot get any upgrades for pc. I can get Logic Pro for $195 as an upgrade instead of the $1000 dollar msrp.

So i started thinking...

Maybe I should get a dual 1.8 g5 with a gig of ram and run logic pro.

My questions are:

What should I know?

Is it worth it?

Is it hard to transfer all my data over?

and anything else anyone cares to add.

THanks so much,
aaron

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Re: I'm thinking about going from pc to g5...i need suggesti

Post by brainfreezebob » Fri May 14, 2004 12:04 pm

Can I borrow some money?

bentonevolution

Post by bentonevolution » Fri May 14, 2004 12:12 pm

brainfreezebob wrote:Can I borrow some money?
haha...i wish i had enough to give you. This is being paid for by an indie label that has me recording and producing (writing string arrangements, programming drums, arranging, etc) some artists...so i'm gonna try to get as much from them as possible

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Post by brainfreezebob » Fri May 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Awesome gig. I'd like to do something similar. I'm way into the old school Motown division of labor.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri May 14, 2004 1:16 pm

What should I know? Hmm. You probably will want to take a class on the basics of OSX or get a friend to show you the ropes. It may seem a little troublesome at first because it's just a different way of doing things. To me (and I use both PC's and Mac's) it makes more sense and there are a ton of shortcuts that make it blazingly more easy to navigate than WinXP. There are also far fewer compatibility issues. You will probably want to get at least a 2 button mouse or a trackball if you want to be truly kewl like me.

Is it worth it? Every penny. While Macs may cost more, I think they save you tons of time in just ease of use, software and hardware compatibility, all the free apps that come with it (imovie, itunes, iphoto, etc.) which are actually very, very useful and in just general usage. I really WANT to like PC's and save a ton of money, but the time I spend troubleshooting even the most mundane things on my 2 pc's just exasperate the hell out of me. They're just temperamental and I just don't have nearly the same issues on my Macs. Also with Mac there's no real worries about viruses. I can't believe how many friggin' viruses my Pc's get even with all the Hotfixes and virus protection software they're running.

Is it hard to transfer all my data over? No, not at all. You should be able to just copy the data to a CD and load it into your Mac (assuming you're talking about Logic songs...) or put it onto a fw drive, connect it to your Mac and copy the data from the FW drive to a Mac formatted drive.

and anything else anyone cares to add.

No one that I know who has switched from PC to Mac (and there's at least 10 in recent memory...) has ever regretted it and I often get comments like 'I wish I would have done this sooner!'.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri May 14, 2004 1:19 pm

If you want to save some $$, consider buying a used G4. I'm running a G4 dual 800 and it's rockin' with Logic. You can get one for around $1k if you poke around a bit.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

bentonevolution

Post by bentonevolution » Fri May 14, 2004 1:19 pm

Thanks!!!

Great info...i want to take the plunge but I just needed a little reassurance.

I like your quote btw.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Fri May 14, 2004 8:57 pm

I just switched over from PC this year - OSX is really simple. I have a dual 1ghz G4 - however, it still gets smoked by a G5. I only got the G4 to run 0s9 apps, and the my Motu pci324 card. If you want os9, you'll need a dual boot G4 - if you are gonna hang tough in OSX....go G5 and never look back - T
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat May 15, 2004 6:59 am

Hey All,

I've been using Mac for recording since always, but switched over for everyday work once I really started using OSX just because I love the OS so much and in most cases it does *just work* in a way that my PCs never did.

That said, there is always some hassle in switching over -- file formats and such. For instance, if you've got an old soundfile with mixes, you'll probably lose settings and such. Which is no surprise, since you can't even do that program to program, much less platform to platform.

But I'm totally happy. I'm gonna try and get me a g5 this fall, once the new speeds come out.

--JES

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat May 15, 2004 12:57 pm

I can second the suggestion to get a G5. I moved up from a dual G4 to a G5 dual 1.8 and the difference is almost unbelievable. I work in PT LE so I was constantly running out of processing power because of native plugins, but I have yet to cause the G5 to even flinch at me. It has changed the way I work for the better.

bentonevolution

Post by bentonevolution » Sat May 15, 2004 6:49 pm

wow...everyone's being so helpful...thanks

the dice
pluggin' in mics

Post by the dice » Mon May 17, 2004 5:05 am

bentonevolution wrote:wow...everyone's being so helpful...thanks

that is because they are not frustrated by working on a pc.

digital19
alignin' 24-trk

Post by digital19 » Mon May 17, 2004 7:42 am

I would also recommend the G5. If you are going to upgrade, you will see improvements in OS, more stability, and a prettier user interface with a G4... but with a G5... you'll leave the pc way behind.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue May 18, 2004 9:13 am

I am getting a G5 this week and I'm wondering if I can just stick the PC Hard Drive I've been writing Cool Edit Pro Files on into it and expect it to work with Pro Tools.....

gabrielk
audio school

Post by gabrielk » Tue May 18, 2004 9:18 am

Just be sure not to get the 1.6Ghz G5, since it's got some unsightly bottlenecks. :D