is anyone familiar with Reason?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: is anyone familiar with Reason?

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:09 pm

bombastique wrote:A couple comments:

1. You don't need the refill for a song if you 'save as self-contained'.
It wouldn't let me do that with paid-for refills.
2. You can edit automation using the pencil tool
I mentioned that - it' s not what I need. It's hard enough automating with a mouse. Penciling in every CC# is a good way to kill the creative moment.
4. the built in synths are actually very, very flexible and sound awesome when you program them correctly. stacking them is also a great way to get unbelievable synth sounds.
[/quote]

Each to their own - what are you comparing it to? IMO Subtractor sounds like every other 'techno' subtractive synth. To my ears, it's stale. The grain table one is funky, but still somewhat lifeless. Coupled with the limited effects, and I'm uninspired. I've tended to stick with the samplers, when I've used it, but samples are samples - they can't help being lifeless.

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:46 am

shaebert wrote:i have a question about reason....ive herd people say they use it threw Cubase, in whcih i have, how would i do this, and could i do this with Sonar 3 instead of Cubase, thx
Install Cubase or Sonar 3 first, and then install Reason. From there Reason should be recognized in your VST instrument panel within Cubase/Sonar3.
boom-ptch-boom

cgill20
audio school

Post by cgill20 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:40 pm

reason does sound dense. but if you spend time with it you can actually create some quality sounds. you just have to know how to work the hardware in it. i also have to agree with the fact that reason does create artifacts when manipulating with the sounds in certain ways. i have gotten them with the DR. Rex. however in my case when i do use reason. i route it through cubase sx.
Bitches do what they can do, and real muthafuckers do what they want to do!

tommymakestapes
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tommymakestapes » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:20 pm

if you right click the paramiter that you want to automate choose "edit automation", then hit record. you can edit the automation by just clicking on that button/knob/whatever and moving your mouse around like any other vst or vsti when in write mode. if its something like the mixer though, you may have to set up a new sequencer track and connect it to that piece of gear before it will allow you todo it.

On another note the newer reverb has an awesome tape delay setting on it, and I've tinkered with the forth coming release and it finally has a nice compressor with an INPUT LEVEL!

They really have improved it bunch from 2.0, I didn't like it back then either.