total computer newbie seeks info on how to get the audio IN

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
benton netty
studio intern

total computer newbie seeks info on how to get the audio IN

Post by benton netty » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:53 pm

...okay, so i've got adobe audition 1.5. now what?

i've recorded for years on four and eight track cassette, so i'm used to plugging in, hitting "record," and that's that. but this is not that.

i know next to nothing about computers, but i want to learn. so far, what i've done is this: i've plugged in a cheap-ass radio shack 1/8" mic into my soundcard, and i've tested out the audition program. that's it.

now what i want to know is: what's the best way for me to get the audio into the computer? or, more specifically, what's the best, CHEAPEST way? i'm only ever going to need, say, a mic input, and a couple of stereo inputs for the drum machine i use. usually, i'm going to be recording stereo drum machine, then the guitars, bass, and vocals will all be done one-by-one, by me.

the way i understand it, i'm going to need some sort of interface. if anyone can help me to figure this out, i'd be very thankful. even if there's another webpage you can point me to. anything would be great.

thanks!
tony

Maliscious
audio school graduate

Re: total computer newbie seeks info on how to get the audio

Post by Maliscious » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:54 am

I can recommend a good book to get you started....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 80-3402260

SqueeGees
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SqueeGees » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:18 pm

i started out, in your position it would seem. and Iam still learning... but a few things ive learned are, #1 get yourself a good soundcard, depending on your setup it sounds like a good full duplex card will do fine... if your looking for specs. chek out
M-audio.com that has loads of cards and interfaces... #2. radioshak will do fine if your looking for auditon recordings. however. i would move towards a better mic otherwise... #3 stick to this webpage its doing me wonders and iam sure iam not the only one....

Ben Logan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ben Logan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:17 am

You can usually find a 1/8 inch jack on most computers to plug your audio source into.

Two problems:

1) The soundcards that come stock with computers are notoriously "low-fi." You can record at 16bit quality only. But the way computers handle audio is kind of wack: if you're only lighting up the audio volume input meter on your recording program "half-way," you're only recording at 8bit. Its called "digital summing." The solution is to get a soundcard that can record at 24bit. That way, even though you're not always getting MAXIMUM volume / bits, your still usually recording at around 18 to 22 bit fidelity. Believe me, you can HEAR the difference. I have the M-AUDIO 24/96 card. Its a good starter card for 2 hundy, that I haven't out-grown.

2) You can't plug mics straight into most computer stock sound cards. You need a device called a preamp to power them. Your drum machine or keyboard or whatever should sound ok straight in, but for vocals you need pre's. Guitars fit this bill too. Unless you want to get something like a POD, which is designed to let you plug straight in.

So, to sum up, if you're going to stick with this, you're going to want a soundcard, and some sort of pre-amp device to power your mics. Come to think of it, some soundcards now come with pre-amps built into them. You're looking at about a two to three hundred dollar investment I think.

This hobby is the biggest money pit! But there's nothing I'd rather spend what little spare money I have on. It is so much fun, and this forum is a great place to connect with other hobbyists, and even pros.

Ben