Odd Used Mbox Behavior

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
wedge
tinnitus

Odd Used Mbox Behavior

Post by wedge » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:25 pm

I just purchased a used Mbox at a local music shop, and when I plug it into the usb 1 slots in both my mac and pc, all the lights come on, except the phantom power light (and the mic light for the first preamp?!?). The red peak lights are blaring, plus the line and inst. lights, as is the spdif, and there ain't no spdif line connected. When I click the source buttons for each preamp, it doesn't cycle through mic; line; inst. lights. Nor can I turn off the mono light by pushing the mono button. Have I purchased a hunk of useless plastic and metal? This thing hosed?!?

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: Odd Used Mbox Behavior

Post by kcrusher » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:41 am

It would appear that it is. I've seen this before and the only solution is to get it replaced. Did you do a Transfer of Ownership? If so and it's still under warranty, I think you can call Digi for an RA.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:11 am

Hey Brad! Good luck duder, these people are your best bet for help. THey may cruficy me for saying this, but maybe try posting this in the general area to get more hits.

cd

Sender
audio school graduate

Post by Sender » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:28 pm

looks like you have a nice mbox shaped door stop now.

i hope they have a return policy.....
ProTools 210M & 210P certified

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:32 pm

Hey, Casey... Good to finally meet you on tapeop... the meeting place for truely cooool people! 8)

Good news. I took it back today and they had another one that functions. Or, at least, it doesn't light up like a christmas tree. I've yet to test it thoroughly. If they hadn't had that, I was all set to spend my beans on that Alesis Studio 24 that they have. I still really want it. Apparently, it's the only 8 direct-in board that also has 8 direct outs, so we'd be able to monitor the Otari directly track by track without having to repatch anything. Drummer Rich raved highly about this feature...

:oneeye:

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:23 pm

CD...

I've finally played around with PT! Threw together a mix. I know it's popular in some circles to hate protools, but for some reason, the concepts behind the design of the interface resonate with me like no other program that I've ever used, and I've used a bunch. Don't tell anybody, but I think I really like protools! :shock: