Should I get a G5?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
dwdrummer
audio school graduate

Should I get a G5?

Post by dwdrummer » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:13 pm

Right now i'm in the middle of a predicament. I currently have a P4, 2.6 Ghz, 512mb ram, running a Digi002 Rack on XP. I have been researching the Pro's and Con's of a G5 and the computer I currently own, but seem to find no definitive answer. Should I upgrade the PC and get some more memory or should I sell the PC and shell out 2 grand for a G5?

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: Should I get a G5?

Post by maz » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:19 pm

you should just save yourself the headache of learning another platform and buy the G5 for ME!! 8)

if you are already a PC guy and you know how to build and troubleshoot in the PC world, you might as well stay PC.

The G5s are cool though, and if you are looking for a change, go for it.

They're both just tools. I think the PCs are running pro tools pretty solidly now (although I'm on a Mac), so unless you just like the Mac OS better, it seems like you could just upgrade your ram and be in a really great machine. 512 MB of ram on a 2.6GHZ machine is not much.

At http://duc.digidesign.com there are some great forums for these kinds of detailed questions... if you haven't been there try them out.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:06 am

The only reason for a PC person to switch to a Mac *if* you have DAW setup that you like is:

1. Because you like OSX better.

2. Because there's some piece of software that only runs on a Mac that you are dying to use (eg, Logic).

I think that's true for platform switches in general. I'm a Mac audio person, and with 6 years invested in Audiodesk/DP, I'm sticking with my DAW even if it means the computer's more expensive.

Best,
--JES

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:18 am

I was where you are at the end of the year - I ended up making the switch. For me it was a great step forward - learning osx and 9.2.2 was really not a big deal. With a G5 you are only going to have X anyway - and after using windows my entire life, I can say that it is honestly a better world (for me at the very least) since you do not have to deal with microsoft related issues (viruses, spyware, crashes, etc). A G5 will smoke anything even close to it - and something about 8 gigs of RAM makes my mouth water.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:02 pm

early model G5s, like 1.6 or 1.8, can be had from $1200-1400 refurbed. apple sells certified G5 1.6 ghz refurbs for like $1295 with free shipping all the time.

totally worth it. i use both mac and pc, and after buying my G5, i have decided to never invest a large amount in a PC again-- i'd only have one around just to be compatible with everything when necessary, but that's just personal preference right there.

knmy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by knmy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:12 pm

Are you having problems with you current set-up. A 2.6 Ghz PC is plenty. I would up the RAM first if you may be having any performance issues.
Your bass sounds like a wet noodle.....

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:36 am

The only reason for a PC person to switch to a Mac *if* you have DAW setup that you like is:
There is another reason. The graphics look better on a G5. I coughed up the cash a few months ago for a dual 1.8 and it was rough for a while there financially.

But I'm very happy I did it. Like good reference monitors, the quality of the graphics is much better on a G5, and you can work longer with less eye fatigue.

You really have to see Pro Tools running on a PC right next to a Mac running Pro Tools. It's obvious which screen looks better. I don't even have a good monitor, I'm using my old PC 17", and I noticed right away the improvement.

I got into Final Cut Pro HD recently as well. The coolest DV software ever and it runs like a champ on my G5.

GO FOR IT MAN! DON'T LOOK BACK!

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:56 am

You probably noticed the improvement because you had an upgraded graphics card in your Mac, compared to the PC.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:11 am

ctmsound wrote:You probably noticed the improvement because you had an upgraded graphics card in your Mac, compared to the PC.
Which probably came standard on the G5... one more reason why the relatively higher mac prices can actually be worth it... :)

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:20 am

ctmsound wrote:You probably noticed the improvement because you had an upgraded graphics card in your Mac, compared to the PC.
Actually, not really. Standard Mac graphics look much better than PC - referring to the way icons, text/fonts and menus appear onscreen. WinXP even with all the bells and whistles turned on pales in comparison to OSX.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

The2and4
ass engineer

Post by The2and4 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:38 pm

A few related words of wisdom:

http://lowendmac.com/musings/04/0806.html

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:52 pm

I bought a G4 right before the G5's were announced. I've fallen in love with the Mac. I still have 2 PC's in the studio, one with PTLE, you're right about the graphics. My modest 1.25gHz G4 is still selling for what I paid for it. That'll never happen with a PC. The PC's are much faster and cheaper, but the Mac is so smooth, I use it more often. I want to buy a G5 as soon as I can afford one.

CA

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:01 pm

i have two of the same type of monitor. with the same settings, i plugged one into my G5, another into a PC. i went to some websites. all of the websites looked smoother, cleaner, and more pleasant-- fonts, colors, images, everything. after 5 minutes on the PC, my eyes started to hurt a little, or feel strained. i looked back on the mac and immediately my eyes had this feeling of relaxation, saying "thank you!"

i never really thought about it until now. visually the mac is so much nicer on the eyes to me... and the PC is harsh and hurts my eyes to no end.

otter
audio school graduate

Post by otter » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:44 pm

i would throw the pc out the window first.
now that we've taken care of that...
i've been operating protools LE on a G4 for over a year. it is used on a tour and the computer is mounted horizontally in a road rack and gets thrown onto a truck every night and off to a new city, etc... in point it takes a beating. it has NEVER crashed to this date (knock on wood) i have heard however that the G5's haven't been handling protools well at all so i would maybe wait until they get all the bugs out or just get a G4. the G4 is tried and true and i can't even imagine what more the G5 is actually doing...

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:27 am

G5s have been out for a while now... I think they're past the requisite growing period for new hardware. If you're taking the plunge I really, really wouldn't get a G4.

We're about to get a top of the line G5 dual at work, should be interesting. I'll be doing video on it, not audio, though. Mac stuff is never as bulletproof as the mac obsessives (like me) will tell you, and besides even if the OS stays stable the apps might still be buggy junk. Luckily force quit (mac ctrl alt delete) works about 99.9% of the time.

You didn't really explain why you were considering switching. Hmm.

This eye fatigue stuff sounds like hoo-doo to me, I dunno... differing refresh rates or something? Bizarre :|