Mac Upgrading (on the cheap)

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Mac Upgrading (on the cheap)

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:51 am

I have a g4, 533mhz (single processor), with 896 MB of RAM. I'm currently running OS 10.2.8.

I'd like to upgrade to Jaguar.

Logic Pro is running on my machine... well, jogging is more like it. I can't really justify a new computer (music is a hobby, and my current set-up is probably way more than I need), but I would like to improve performance.

What are people's experience with upgrading processors? Should I bother? Should I just upgrade more memory (of course, that's a yes). Should I skip Jaguar? (I'm afraid the next upgrade of Logic will require it)

Any other ideas?

Thanks

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Mac Upgrading (on the cheap)

Post by sonariste » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:43 pm

I hear that the OWC proc upgrades are very good with most audio programs.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Accelerators/index.cfm

mercury extreem is the good one.

I dont know this from hands on expieriance. Make sure you do your research well.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:19 am

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the 10.2 series jaguar, and 10.3 is panther? just wanted to be sure as that's the impression i've had all along...

The2and4
ass engineer

Post by The2and4 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:27 am

If your current setup is already doing most of what you need, I say, why not upgrade?

It would be cheaper than getting a faster computer, plus, it's a lot less hassle than selling the old, buying the new, switching everything around, etc., and might even be kinda fun. Probably not the MOST economical thing to do in the long run, but this is something you'd get to enjoy right now, and you can save the money that you'd spend on a new computer for other stuff, or stash it for when you want to replace the G4.

Besides, a G5 will probably be pretty affordable by then. I mean, dual 1.25 ghz at the least?...how could anyone need any more power than that?....ever?....(har har)

I upgrade all my macs...I still use an old mac clone. It's upgraded to the max and still runs simple protools sessions, or for burning CDs while I'm working on another computer, which is worth so much more to me than the money I would get from selling it. Saves time. Not bad for an 8 year old machine!

Honestly, unless we're trying to impress a client with a long list of fancy plugins, or
seriously trying to compete with the big boys... how many plugins do we really need running on a single session? Sure, a little elbow room is always nice, but I think even yesterday's machines have PLENTY of power to get the job done beautifully.

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:23 pm

I own two aftermarket processors by Sonnet. Both work very well, no problems. I have the Encore ZIF 1gHz in my audio machine. I think it will work in your G4. They go for about $480. Hope this helps.

The2and4
ass engineer

Post by The2and4 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:43 pm

Yes!
Can't wait for the faster zifs to come down in price..won't be long now...!

Maybe this will help a little?

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/g4upgrades.html

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:37 am

I had a bit of a nightmare upgrading a G3, but this site is WONDERFUL:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com .

Don't trust anything Apple tells you, though, without double checking it. When I upgraded the G3 to OSX 10.2, they said it would work just fine. When I could no longer print, they said, "oh, of COURSE is doesn't print, silly!" Like people who have computers don't want to use their printer ports anymore. Good lord.

But ZLR8YourMac is a great site, very helpful. As are Apple's user forums, surprisingly.

Best,
--JES

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:10 am

Will a processor upgrade default my Apple Care warranty?

Also, has anyone tried a dual processor upgrade (I think there are a couple of them out there).

Funny Story: At the Apple store I was told, "with the prices of macs these days, processor upgrades aren't really worth it." How much do those guys get paid! Jeez.

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonariste » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:07 pm

I think your applecare will be in default if you change the proc to a non apple one.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:52 pm

I asked someone at smalldog and they said no, the apple care would still be valid. He said the only issue would be if the problem is due to the installation of the processor.

I guess I need to call apple care directly.

This will be quite cool if it works. For $300 or so I'll make a huge leap. Otherwise I'll have to buy a new mac in a year or so for big bucks.