yay for motu

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
loosegravel
gettin' sounds

yay for motu

Post by loosegravel » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:33 pm

MOTU took my fried 828 and gave me a new one and I didn't have a sales recipt or warranty card (seccond hand) AMAZING. I was very happy with service and whatnot. just thought I'd share
"Oh MANNN, MY MOTU"

nlmd311
tinnitus

Re: yay for motu

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:41 am

YAY for MOTU! I just got an 828mkII brand new yesterday and I love it. So, thats my contribution.
Glad things worked out for you. Glad to hear that possibly (hopefully not) if things go wrong with mine I will get some help from them.

best wishes

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

phill2796
audio school graduate

Post by phill2796 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:02 am

Someone just took a 24io out of my studio without asking
anyone seen it?????
Phillp Boshers
AudioGram Pro
Nashville Tn.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:56 am

phill2796 wrote:Someone just took a 24io out of my studio without asking
anyone seen it?????
Do you mean as in stolen?
Yikes! If that is the case, then look at who was in your studio and track them down and kick the crap out of them. Or you could just sit back and cry like I would.

hopefully the legs it sprouted will allow it to walk (or even better, run) home quickly and unharmed!

-Darrill

phill2796
audio school graduate

Post by phill2796 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:09 pm

yea im still waiting for it to come walking back in it must of got tired.
Phillp Boshers
AudioGram Pro
Nashville Tn.

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:41 am

do the 828s come with any software, specifiacally digital performer?
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:19 pm

They come with 'Audiodesk', a scaled down version of DP (REALLY scaled down). I believe they offer a discount upgrade to DP from Audiodesk...
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:43 pm

MOTU is a wonderful company with excellent support; sometimes I think they're crazy. I bought a cut-out version of DP (2.5?) for something like $25 and upgraded to 3.0 for short money (I forget how much). I even told them it was basically a cut-out of their software, but they didn't care. And their stuff seems to work right out of the box. Amazing.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:23 pm

bombastique wrote:They come with 'Audiodesk', a scaled down version of DP (REALLY scaled down). I believe they offer a discount upgrade to DP from Audiodesk...
Yeup. Since I just got the 828mkII I just checked it out (even though I don't have any need for Digital Performer...no Apple computers). You can get DP4 if you are a registered MOTU user and have a copy of Audiodesk for $395 (current price). If you want DP3 it says to call some Customer Service number.

**Side note. Tech. Support has been great so far. I had a little confusion the day I was setting it up so I wrote an email (Saturday night) figured out the problem myself by Sunday afternoon, and by Monday night I had an email reply from MOTU tech Support telling me what I figured out, plus a few other things. Pretty cool in my book.

all the best

-Darrill

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:02 pm

not to mention haw great these boxes sound, and how great DP is as well. Motu is the bomb.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:15 pm

I bought a 24i off eBay and when I hooked it up the outputs just emitted digital noise... no music. I called MOTU and even though I bought it second-hand and thus it was not registered to me, the took the unit back and gave me a new one for $50. You can't beat that.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:44 pm

Im glad you guys are having good experiences with them

I bought a 24 I/O and traded it to my uncle for an 896, the serial number is supposed to be on a sticker on the bottom of the unit and it isnt there. why they didnt have some sort of secondary ID on it I dont know. Anyway I cant register it and they wont even talk to me about servicing it :(

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:22 am

A piece of hardware with the serial number missing is usually hot. I can see why they'd back away from that one.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:18 pm

sure, I can see that, I am fairly reasonable person, but I had provided my name address, uncles name and address who it was purchased from when and where. 3 different phone numbers

Im not upset with that per-se, Just questioning why you would just put the serial number on a sticker on the part as opposed to maybe stamping it on the metal, or maybe putting a second serial number sticker on the inside of the part or maybe on the box or the manual.

sooner or later a sticker on a rack mounted box will either fall off or be rubbed off.

I just think that was a poor discision and now I have spent over $3000 dollars on motu equipment but I am a mutt that they wont even talk to because of a sticker

Albro Swift
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albro Swift » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:51 pm

Everybody's X wrote:I just think that was a poor discision and now I have spent over $3000 dollars on motu equipment but I am a mutt that they wont even talk to because of a sticker
Hey, here's an off the wall suggestion: maybe someone who already has the same piece of gear will "donate" their sticker to you so that you can get some assistance from motu. -- I mean, if there's no other identifying marks, how would <i> they </i> know?

Good luck,
Josh