I wanna go mobile (iBook/002 or similar). Thoughts?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
takeout
steve albini likes it

I wanna go mobile (iBook/002 or similar). Thoughts?

Post by takeout » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:09 am

I know I'm either getting a new iBook or refurb PowerBook soon. It will be multi-use (audio as well as home stuff like email, some design stuff, etc.). I want to be able to walk into a band's space, power up, throw mics up, and hit "Record". My emphasis here is on the tracking stage rather than mixing (I have options there).

Issues? Caveats?

This will be my first experience with OSX, and I'm not much more of a PT ninja either. Any and all suggestions welcome.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Re: I wanna go mobile (iBook/002 or similar). Thoughts?

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:46 am

There are a number of good options for going mobile. I think the main issue is your comfort factor and the flexibility of your hardware.

How many inputs do you need?

How many pres do you need?/Do you plan to carry a mixer/outboard pres?

What purpose do the recordings serve? demo, just listening back to band practice, something for commercial release?

etc.

Those are all questions that have to be answered before you go spending so you won't end up with something you are not happy with.
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:29 pm

You wouldn't go wrong with an 002. I'm thinking of picking one up myself when I get some more money. There are systems you could design that would, on paper, give you slightly better specs, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle. For a little over a grand, you get the hardware, pro tools le, and several decent sounding mic pres. If creative emu releases a firewire or usb 2.0 or cardbus interface for a laptop, that would probably be my first choice.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:12 am

No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote:There are a number of good options for going mobile. I think the main issue is your comfort factor and the flexibility of your hardware.

How many inputs do you need?

How many pres do you need?/Do you plan to carry a mixer/outboard pres?

What purpose do the recordings serve? demo, just listening back to band practice, something for commercial release?

etc.

Those are all questions that have to be answered before you go spending so you won't end up with something you are not happy with.
All good questions.

1. 8 inputs minimum.

2. I have access to good outboard pres, so I have the choice of lugging those or using the 002's.

3. Any and all of the above purposes. Cutting drums at the space of the band's choice, then overdubbing... full-band quick and dirty... demos... practices... all of it.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:19 am

If you want to be able to just walk in and track like that, you need PT, which means either the 002 or 002R if you're using firewire. The MOTU 828 MKII is significantly cheaper and has zero-latency monitoring, which the 002 does not. If you go the MOTU route, Digital Performer is NOT a good choice for laptops, especially the iBook G4. Use another program like Logic or Nuendo or Cakewalk. Good luck--it's fun as hell.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:29 am

logancircle wrote:If you want to be able to just walk in and track like that, you need PT, which means either the 002 or 002R if you're using firewire. The MOTU 828 MKII is significantly cheaper and has zero-latency monitoring, which the 002 does not. If you go the MOTU route, Digital Performer is NOT a good choice for laptops, especially the iBook G4. Use another program like Logic or Nuendo or Cakewalk. Good luck--it's fun as hell.
What's the caveat with DP? Why does it not play well with laptops?

How do those other platforms play with PT? Easy import/export to and from each other?

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:05 pm

Real quick: my setup is iBook G4 with maximum ram, MOTU 828 mkII with their cuemix software, then "import to track" those 24-bit/44.1 files into PT and do overdubs with MBox via preamps.

I was warned against using DP4 in OSX before I got it, but I said that's just opinion. Then I realize it's true, at least with an iBook. G4 Powerbooks seem to be able to handle it better, but you still need an interface with hardware monitoring cuz you'll still have latency.

It sounds like you're going to spaces to record full bands, no? The 828mkII works the same as the 002 in that it has 2 pres and 6 TRS ins for other shit but it has a zero latency option. If you don't have an MBox or any other PT interface AT ALL, then that kinda sucks because it's the industry standard for digi. The thing about the 002 via laptop is latency, which can f' up a band's musical interaction. If only they made Powerbooks with PCI.

cd

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:43 am

Bump. Any other opinions?

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:44 am

What kind of music are you going to be tracking? If it's medium to loud sources, you might check out the Metric Halo 2882 (+/-DSP). www.mhlabs.com

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:08 pm

Interesting.

The DSP version would be mainly if I wanted to mix in the box, right? Or could it prove useful on the way in, to limit peaks and such?

If Dave Matthews' guy uses it, it must be good...

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:44 pm

takeout wrote:Interesting.

The DSP version would be mainly if I wanted to mix in the box, right? Or could it prove useful on the way in, to limit peaks and such?

If Dave Matthews' guy uses it, it must be good...
Yeah, I totally trust anyone who dumps 300 megatons of poo and pee on unsuspecting tourists.
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios