MOTU 2408, New Mac G4, just won't work, I'm going crazy

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
juanmaclean666
audio school graduate

MOTU 2408, New Mac G4, just won't work, I'm going crazy

Post by juanmaclean666 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:09 am

I have a dual processor G4, about 6 months old, and MOTU 2408 MKII, also about 6 months old. Despite heavy tech support, my whole system just stopped running and I could not get it working right for like a month now. I just keep getting ASIO driver or disk too slow errors when I try to run tracks in Logic. So I eventuallly wiped out my entire hard drive and rebuilt the whole thing again. Only to have the same thing happening. One thing that seems weird, and I don't know if this is just something I never noticed before, is that it seems like the hard disk on the Mac keeps sort of speeding up and slowing down, if that makes any sense.
My next stop is calling someone in to look at the whole thing, which I'm sure will cost me a lot of money, so any help would be aprreciated.

touched1
pushin' record

Re: MOTU 2408, New Mac G4, just won't work, I'm going crazy

Post by touched1 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:51 pm

That config should work. I've set up one like that myself.

How does the machine behave when you're not running logic.

What has Tech support recommended you do?

This does not sound like a prob with the 2408. sounds like a configuration problem or possibly a hardware problem.

Please provide more details.

juanmaclean666
audio school graduate

Post by juanmaclean666 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:59 am

Actually,I'm thinking it's a hardware problem. TEch support has been not much help at all. I've ruled out the 2408. When I just used Mac AV and bypassed the 2408, the same problem happens.
Also, I went to burn a cd in itunes, and it ran very slowly, then eventually crashed.
I think it is a disk drive problem. I have reinitialized and reinstalled the OS, only to have the same problem all over again.
Juan

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:09 pm

Do you have tech tool pro?

this is pretty much essential to macs. around $100 very simple to use, I can almost garruantee the first thing a techy will do is run TTP on it, so do your self a favor and do that first, next I would open the sucker up and make sure all your cards and hard drive and ram everything is securely placed, anything a jar will freak out macs.macs almost always get fucked up cause of a bad HD, which should be swiped clean every 6months and ran TTP every month or more depending on the usage. the odd thing is that its brand new right?
anyways hope I helped...

whats your HD and ram specs
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

juanmaclean666
audio school graduate

Post by juanmaclean666 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:55 pm

THanks for the help.
It's a dual 867 mhz. 60g hard drive. I'm also using a Glyph firewire 80g drive, but that is probably irrelevant. The computer is about 9 months old, and ran fine up until about 1 month ago. It is coming down to the wire cuz I am getting really close to bringing it to the Apple store (it's still under warrenty). I have run Disk Doctor out of Norton Utilities and it has come up with nothing. I'm not familiar with TTP, mainly because I have never had any real problems with my 3 years of using Macs.
I'll open it up and see if anything is loose.
One thing I notice: it seems like the hard disk is sort of speeding up and slowing down, like it is never really kicking in to run as fast as it should. This could be just because I am listening closely now, I don't know.
I'm really getting close to some deadlines, I need this thing to work.
Juan

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:02 pm

Take it in for warranty repair, that's what it's there for.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:09 pm

How fast are your data drives?

Have you minimized your extensions so that you are purely running those related to Logic?

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:53 pm

yeah hearing the hardrive isn't always good, TTP is way better than norton,
in my humble oppinion. It searchs all conflicts, checks everything ram, HD, all your ports, its saved my ass a few times, and it was good to do saved the comapny I worked for alot of cash. I've had both for awhile, that and disk warrior, I dunno logic but config may be an option through support.
so I would say take it in if its convienant but if not try TTP, you should be able to pick it up at like fry's or just DL it, if your comp is still capable.boot from a cd and check things out.good luck
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!